You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Quizzler

Gang,

This is only a drill.  If it had been an actual emergency, I would have called Tom, Steve, Forest, etc.  I am posting this under the category: Well, thats a new one (at least to me).

I left Auburn this morning on the way to Newell to get my toasted AC fixed.  When I was pulling onto interstate, I hit a bump and my generator just quit.  Hmmm. I thought.  

Hit the switch to turn the generator back on.  It started and I got the Generator light and a couple of minutes later the 120 and 240 lights came on and my house ACs came on.  Its HOT in Alabama right now.

A few minutes down the road, the ACs quit again.  I looked at lights and all were dark.  Except the generator gauges.  They were lit up.

Did another restart and again it ran for a minute and quit.

At this point, I had a lot of different indications.  The generator light would come one, but the transfer switch would not kick on.  Sometimes the generator switch would not light up on start.  (Its hard to tell if the generator is running while going down the interstate).  So I cannot tell you if it was running or not.

I was debating the actions I should take.  1)  I could stop and jam the transfer switch in case it is failing.  2)  I could call Newell support  3)  I could pull into rest stop and wait till night to continue the trip.  4) I could call Tom since he had a generator problem where it would quit while driving.  (If I remember correctly).  

As I pulled into the truck stop to get fuel with sweat running down my face, it suddenly dawned on me what the problem was.  

Any guesses?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Mine did that on a bumpy road in S. Dakota. Turned out to be a loose wire connection on the fuel pump.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

for me it was the check valve in the fuel pump. cheap and easy fix.

for you i would guess you were too low on fuel and the genny draw tube is above the one for the engine so as it was sloshing around the engine would stop.

then the transfer switch takes a little while to switch the power back in.

my 2 cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

You win the prize! That is exactly what it was. I appreciate you taking me into account when attempting to troubleshoot. Smile

I have never run the fuel that low and therefore never experienced this problem. I knew that the generator and aquahot take offs were higher than the engine fuel take off, but that did not register until I was almost at truckstop.

I posted this cause someone else might benefit and to remind myself that even if it seems bad, a little basic troubleshooting goes a long way.

Thanks for reading!
cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Was told at Newell awhile back that go below 1/4 tank and the genny may shut off. guess they were correct.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

My fuel gauge is a little off and reads as empty when I have a half full tank. I measured fuel with a yardstick before I left and I had around 3" of fuel. I had only gone 40-45 miles when I got fuel...So the magic number is 3".

Once again, we realize why we want to drive Newells. Who else would think about the need to make sure you don't run yourself completely out of fuel running the generator? Maybe this is a no-brainer for motorhome manufacturers, but in my mind its pretty cool that someone thought about it and then did something about it.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We'll see you are the smart one in the family... You coming near me tomorrow.. We are gonna grill steaks with them millers you are invited? I'll be up at Newell probably Monday too... CallSmile

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Hmmm , I have a separate tank for generator.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

dean, i think with the series 60's they went to a single diesel tank.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill,
The reason your fuel gauge may be at E when you have a half tank is that there are 2 sizes of fuel senders that Newell parts was selling as replacements. I needed a new sender 2 years ago and by measurement of the tank Newell sent me the one I installed, but it was the wrong size and is 3" to short ! Rather than taking it out and buying a new larger one, I just know that when I am on E that I have about 115 gallons left. I use the Silverleaf to determine mileage and distance to next needed fuel stop and it's good to know that someone else has the same benefit as I do. Ha

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border