You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator running well, NO power

Hi folks

What's the plan of attack when the genny fires up and runs fine, switch is rotated to genny power yet no 110 power. Suggestions? Thanks.

is your generator blower running ok? if so, your generator head is making power.

then i would make sure if there were any breakers on the genny itself that may be tripped.

then go to your transfer switch and see if there is power coming in from the genny.

if there is, then either your transfer switch relays are not working or your switch yourself is bad.

be VERY careful with measuring power. if you are not comfortable doing it with a meter, then find someone to help you

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom is correct. Expanding on a couple of the items he mentioned. If you have a manual transfer switch with a control switch close to the driver to switch between Shorepower and Generator, your transfer switch has, in addition to the two large relays, 2 small relays to prevent accidentally energizing both circuits at the same time. If one of these small relays gets debris in them (they are not sealed), it can cause the transfer switch to fail to switch over. That happened to me once. I turned off the generator, made sure shorepower was not connected, disconnected the inverter, then removed the small relays one at a time and found one with some hay in it. I cleaned it out, reinstalled it and all was well.

I have heard from others that they have had the breakers on the generator itself trip. Resetting the breakers may solve the problem or, if they trip again, indicate and issue with the head on your generator.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

if the breakers on the generator have tripped, will the blower fan still be running?

tom

Check your fuses. We had one go bad that looked good but when checked for continuity found it to be bad. Replaced the fuse (one of the old school glass tube ones) and everything was fine.

thanks all, heading out to the coach now to check these out and will keep you posted.

breaker was shut off, not sure if it tripped or why, but all is working now. always count on you guys for help, thanks.

glad that was it. hopefully it was a one time event

tom