You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Inverter setting for deep cycle golf cart batteries

I posted previously that I replaced by six house 8D (starter) batteries with twelve 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. (model GC2).  My ProSine inverter is set to stop inverting at 10 volts, and provides power for 8 to 10 hours for essential equipment.  However, at 10 volts cutoff, the deep cycle batteries are still at about 80% charge.  It seems to me that deep cycle batteries should withstand more discharge than that.  I am a novice at this, but would appreciate any advise as to resetting my inverter to better utilize the deep cycle feature of these batteries. 

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Ay chihuahua,

First I wouldn't discharge to 10V, it will significantly shorten the life of the battery. See table 7 in this literature from Trojan. http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanB...sGuide.pdf

Second, deep cycle batteries are a misnomer. Deep cycle is not the same as deep discharge. They are intended to provide power at low amperages for extended time. Normal start batteries are intended to provide high amperage for short periods of time. It has to do with the thickness and construction of the plates.

Third, someone may may have set your Prosine up incorrectly in regards to % remaining. There is NO WAY at 10V that you have 80% charge. There are ways to charge your battery bank, set up a controlled discharge, and calculate exactly how many amp hour capacity you actually have. Only then can you set the Prosine to accurately tell you the capacity used or remaining.

If you have been running the batteries down to 10V, they may be toast. I apologize if I am coming across as pedantic. I learned a lot while teaching myself battery and charger technology to use the LiPOFe setup, and I will be happy to help you get the most out of your batteries.

Can you post a link to the inverter manual for your model Prosine? or just tell me the model and what batteries you have. I will also need to know the amp hour rating of the battery.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, thanks for your assistance. I have 12 Interstate deep cycle golf cart batteries purchased from Costco. Each battery label says Size GC2, Reserve Capacity 100 and item #517 990. Interstate doses not list this specific item number but as best I can determine they have 208 amp. hrs. My inverter is a PROsine 3.0 manufactured by Statpower Technologies Corp. The owners manual was published in 1998. Is there any more information I can provide?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

ok i will bite.....what is "pedantic"? some east coast word?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Methinks Richard has possibly found his zone in his retirement. Mayhaps he will challenge us more with obscure verbiage.

Whew! too much coffee. Time to go ride the Rzr.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Chester

I'm on a family trip for the next couple of days. I'll get back to you at the end of the week

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Pedantic is a great word and is especially fitting to be used by Richard. Richard loves to be precise and I have always admired his ability to take his technical education and experience and make it understandable. Richard is a humble teacher, making the use of pedantic an understandable comment for him to make.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

yea, ok, i go along with all that. but what does it mean....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It means "know it all".

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad