You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gugu Contest

I had a Howard Steering System on the Safari I had prior to purchasing my Newell almost 7 years ago. It did help in cross-wind situations and was supposed to help keep the coach straight in the event of a tire blow-out. Fortunately, I never had a blow-out to see if that claim held up. I had forgotten the sight glass tube.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

hi chester, when we were visiting you, i had a quick look to see if i could see the howard power steering controls. thats why i asked you what those things were on top of your aquahot heater at your left knee.

i didnt look extremely close but it didnt look like you had one, but with the pictures russ has shown, you can look for sure

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Nowhere do I have a device that looks like the picture, so I must not have it. Wish I did!

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hmmmmmmmm,

Many years ago when trying to fix an evil handling coach I did a LOT of research on the system. Not trying to be a contrarian, but the company folded when the inventor/owner died and his inheritors got into a big fracas. I bring this up because at the time I talked to the lone remaining employee who told me he had a warehouse full of parts. Do some googling, I found the place somewhere around San Antonio Texas. Best I recall it was Iron Horse RV or something like that. I hope you find the same guy I did some 7 or 8 years ago, and that he can help you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

Thanks - yes Dee passed and those left could never quite all pull in the same direction.

Iron Horse RV in San Antonio did a lot of HPS installs. There was even a guy assigned to handle warranty claims that hung around for a few years. I'll make an attempt to contact Iron Horse, but I can have something fabricated to get me going again in any event. I bet you are talking about Sam Kopecky. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I have the "Howard" and I will tell you that the fluid level in that photo is dangerously low. The fluid should be to the very top and no bubble visible in the sight glass. i could not find a replacement sight glass last year as the company is out of biz. I used double bubble epoxy around the crack and it has been fine for a year+

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Hi Larry,

The fluid is low because the sight glass is broken. The fluid MAY be at the very top, but the fluid low marking is about half way in the sight glass. Anything between low and high is just fine. The level of the fluid has no bearing on the pressure which is controlled by the air in the internal bladder. I have never seen air bubbles in the sight glass.
Thanks for the tip on your repair. Did you remove the "glass" and put some epoxy on the inside, or just apply epoxy from the outside? I am pretty set on having a new piece machined. It is an interesting piece, tapered over its length with different sealing diameters at each end. Howard sure made it complicated to reproduce. Iron Horse RV which did many of the installs say they just replace it with a piece of copper pipe. It certainly sounds as though the sight glass was a weak point in the design. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004