You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gugu Contest

Hydraulic oil reservior?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard is correct, but I was hoping for someone to identify the system. I am beginning to think the system is not too common an option. If no one hits it on the head I will post a picture tomorrow.

I have really enjoyed the thoughts, especially the Toilet Paper holder one! Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I don't understand what you mean by the system. I have a similar sight glass on the tank that holds hyd fluid for the steering and hyd fan. I have never seen a brand name on the tank. If you have the id od and length, look at McMaster Carr

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It's not the hydraulic fluid used for the steering and fan.
That sight glass is not under pressure - this one is.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Again...new fangled!! no hydraulics on our our '82

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Howard Steering????

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Howard Power Steering Assist

For those of you who don't have it, a short explanation.

In the orange cylinder is a rubber bladder. Air is injected into the bladder and the bladder pushes on the hydraulic fluid, whose level is shown in my cracked sight "glass". It's not actually glass. There are two hydraulic lines connected to a very complicated cylinder that is located between the body of the coach and the steering arm. The system is designed to make driving easier, especially in any cross winds, and to prevent sudden changes in wheel angle that might happen with a steer tire blowout. The driver can adjust the air pressure that is supplied by the system's own air compressor. I run about 140 psi. The system also holds the steering on a center position defined by the driver when he/she presses the trim button. This, for me, reduces the corrections required to keep the coach on a straight line. I really enjoyed the system when driving out west on long straight roads in windy conditions.
When it started leaking, after I got back, I decided I would do all I can to repair it. The business folded years ago, so no parts.
The sight gauge, for reasons I am afraid I will understand too late, is tapered over its length, and even the wall thickness changes over its length. It is going to be very difficult to product those changes through machining. I will try a simple single ID and OD and match the dimensions where it interfaces with the "o" rings. I purchased solid acrylic rod slightly larger than the OD of the gauge. It will arrive today and I will go searching for a machine shop or take it to the basement and put it in my lathe ( woodworking ). Haven't decided which yet.

So Steve - congrats! Thanks to everyone else - it was fun. System picture below.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

From the photo, I cannot tell where this device is located. I want to see if I have one and if it is adjustable to help stop wandering.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi Chester,

It would be located in the front most compartment on the driver's side. You would have the driver's controls located on the same panel as the Allison shifter.
In that same compartment you would find the ABS control computer and all the valves and pump for the hydraulic slideout.

I hope you have it, but doubtful, as you would have noticed the control at your driving position. It does a great job of keeping the coach on the straight and narrow though. I often wonder what the cost of it was originally - not cheap I am sure! Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

That was another good product and company that bit the dust with the rv business slowdown. That system is hydraulic. Every one that I knew that had it swore it was the greatest. The new system that Newell uses is electronic and is supposed to be superb. The only other company that I know of that is using the electronic power assist is Newmar.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531