You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Emergency stop left rubber on pavement

sorry to hear that...the weight of the coach limits options.
sometimes they can be shaved to true them up if there is enough tread.

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576

Yesterday, in Eugene, Oregon, I replaced the two tag tires and in the process, discovered that two of my drive axle air springs were badly aged and showed surface cracks. I searched the forum and found where Tom had purchased his and other sources. My intent is to replace all of the rear air springs (bags). Newell had all of them plus the tag ones, and I found two other suppliers that had two drive axle springs each at a substantial savings. All three sources shipped today to a friends house in Modesto, CA. I will be stuck here in Modesto for a week or more to get the springs installed and a new inverter. Any suggestions on who in this area can do the work would be appreciated. Also, where can I get the best price on a Magnum or Outback inverter. Without this forum, i would have paid a much higher price to Newell for the air springs, and they did not even have boxes to ship them in. Oh well, thank you guys.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I thought these did have ABS... do the tags not have ABS? Also do all these coaches have 22.5 on front/24.5 on drive/tag tires? If so then you could not switch from tag to steer... I would just get new tires and try to slow down (I know this is a tall order for both of us!)... I nearly took out the gates of MOT yesterday going too fast...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

That coach should have air disc brakes on the front and tag axle and likely air drum brakes on the drive axle. I know #475 and 478 both had ABS.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

On my coach they are all disc brakes. When I get a chance, I will find out if the tags are ABS. If they do, then something is wrong, and if they do not, why not? All are 22.5 and I switched the tags with the flat spots to the drive axle and this was a waste of time and money since they vibrated even worse on the drive axle.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester, you should have ABS on all three axles.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

There are sensors on my tags but there is nothing to plug them into. I don't know if Newell only speced a four channel system, or there is some logic to not having the tags as part of the ABS. I don't see any mechanism to regulate the wheels individually so I suppose that the ABS pulses the overall system if activated. I have had one emergency braking event. I pushed the pedal as as I could. The pedal went to a hard stop against something in the brake air valve. I felt a minor pulse in the pedal. I was pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my leg.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

When I bought my coach, I had a significant event where the tires skidded. I did a little checking and it turned out that my ABS was not working. Turned out there was a sensor that was held to the axle with a chinese handcuff sort of arrangement. So it turned out that I had two problems...

1) The ABS light did not work on dash. When that was fixed, the light stayed continuously on.

2) The sensor was not adjusted. Once it was adjusted, the light would come on with key and turn back off.

With all that said, I have not had another significant braking event so I cannot report what it does when it DOES work.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

All gurus, I believe this is a serious issue and needs further exploration. Twice now I have had an emergency stopping situation, and both times it has cost me about $1,500 for two new tires, and they are often difficult to find. Perhaps one of our members has some expertise on ABS systems.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I just drive slower and in as little traffic and congestion as possible now. Had a brake job done about 3 years ago and it cost a fortune wish I don't wish to repeat, ever....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border