You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No Schematics?

I sent an email to Newell asking about availability of schematics for plumbing, electrical, etc and was told they do not have any...  really?  Do they just burn the schematics after the customer picks up their coach?  Is the wiring numbered for traceability?  Is there a 'black box' like the Birds have and I missed it?  I don't want to be negative here but that is a huge issue for someone that enjoys working on their own coach... 

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

You probably could call and talk to the Newell employee(s) that wired your coach, Flick called and talked to the gentleman that built his '84 and my '86. They don't appear to have a turnover issue.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

All of the fuses have wiring color codes which has worked well enough for me. There are so many other pluses to owning a Newell that I would not rule it out for a coach that does not have both the Guru forum and factory support.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Plus when one opens a door, and there are several, there is a chart of every wire and fuse inside that door and where they go and do.  Both #s and colors of wires.  As far as water pipes are concerned it is pretty simple.  You had a manifold with each cut-off and what they go to.  Also in the manual it tell one where to find these fuse boxes.  One has to remember that from what I understand, Newell's are a lot less complicated electrical than the Birds where there is one relay after another.  Plus we have the forum that has members that know about anything one ever needs to know about the Newell and other coaches also, including the Bird.  Just ask and the answer will come up I have found.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Having lived with the benefits of diagrams while working as an aircraft mechanic, I was initially mystified by Newell's lack of the same. Over 12 years as a Newell owner I've found that dealing with problems sometimes takes more time and effort, but not as much as I originally imagined. The biggest difficulty is knowing where to locate some components such as the brake light switch. As time passed and I became familiar with Newell's methods the calls to the factory dropped dramatically. Yes, diagrams would help, but it isn't that much of a difficulty when you can freely call the factory and make contact with people that are nice and knowledgeable.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

It is near the top of my list of things Newell should improve. I cannot think of another high end coach that comes with less documentation. The excuse given to me is that each coach is different and custom.
There are no wire numbers and no consistency of wire colors. I even found one wire run that the color changed from one end to the other. I could not believe it and took things apart until I found they had just connected two different wires together with a butt splice. Must have run out of one color and just started on another reel of wire.
If you keep at it you will eventually figure things out. I know many folks think it is okay just to call with any question they have, but I just hate to interrupt their work flow. I still remember trying to carry on a coherent conversation while at the factory with my service advisor and every sentence or two he would run off to take a call. Come on Newell, you can do better!

Russ - Electrical Engineer

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I am quite sure that they do create drawings for each coach as does Foretravel and Bluebird (does Prevost/converters?) and surely they do not have a big document burning at the end of each week...
I agree that with the right tools one can figure out what things are where but we should not have to.

I am quite sure that they do create drawings for each coach as does Foretravel and Bluebird (does Prevost/converters?) and surely they do not have a big document burning at the end of each week...
I agree that with the right tools one can figure out what things are where but we should not have to.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

All Prevost schematics, diagrams, and part numbers are available online with only the coach VIN. After that it varies by converter. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

(09-08-2015, 04:36 PM)pairodice Wrote:  I quite sure that they do create drawings for each coach as does Foretravel and Bluebird (does Prevost/converters?) and surely they do not have a big document burning at the end of each week...

You might be surprised - I'd bet the same person works on the same system in every single coach. The old adage "even rocket science isn't rocket science after you've done it awhile" applies. Smile

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

If/when you do get to the factory with your new Newell talk with Cresley. He looked up the prints on my '98 and had them on the computer. Possibly they could print you a set?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337