You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hydraulic line burst

I just had a burst hydraulic line, the supply that runs up to the power steering, through the center of the coach. This happened while my coach was at my local paint shop getting a fiberglass crack repaired. It's all fixed now, but I want to post what we went through to help anyone in the future.

After finding a mobile repair guy (which was a tough job), we decided the section of the hose with the hole could be spliced. This was done, with the proper hose and fittings, only to burst again in a new place. Now the only thing to do was replace the entire hose, about 45'. I called Newell for their guidance, and they gave us good info, but said it's a tough job. A few days later, we had the hose and began the repair. Oh, all this in the parking lot of the paint shop.

Disconnecting the line at both ends, we drained the fluid into new containers. Newell said the two lines, supply and return, were not tied to anything within the troughs, but were fastened together in the center with a plastic tie. Actually, in my case, it was duct tape. As the lines exit the trough, they are tied. All that, of course, has to be removed. Newell said it would take one person up front feeding the line and two in the back pulling.

We put fittings on the new line, coupled the new and old together at the front of the coach, taped the fittings to make them as smooth as possible, and began to pull it through. At first, pulling on the old line in the rear just stretched the line. It was stuck. Finally, with a good tug with 2 people, the duck tape snapped and the line began to feed. as the fittings moved through, occasionally we would have to go inside the bays and help it along. In my coach, all with hoses and cables are visible in a couple of the bays. Once the fittings made it into the last section of trough, it pulled right through. We hooked it up, put the fluid back in, cranked the engine, checked for leaks (none!) and we were done. It took about 4.5 hours.

I can't express how grateful I am to the service guys at Newell. They really come through and know these coaches inside and out. Any questions? Ask now before I forget this ever happened!

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Awesome! Glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing the experience with all of us! We had the same thing happen on an old Foretravel but lucky for us it was an Oshkosh chassis with all the hoses exposed on the frame. What caused the hoses to burst? dry rot? old age? is there any kind of maintenance we can do to make sure this does not happen or do we just need to plan to replace these?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I don't know why it burst and don't know how long it should last. The mechanic observed a collapse in the hose where the break was. He thought it may be how it was tied to the frame, but we really don't know. It's amazing what a couple gallons of fluid look like sprayed on a parking lot!

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Great post David.

The key point that you made, and one I learned the hard way. Couple the new line to the old line with hydraulic couplers and use the old line to pull the new line into place.

The second point you made, and I gleaned this one from HWH, splices on older hydraulic lines don't work. It's tempting to splice or put a new fitting on the existing line. HWH is adamant that it's a temporary fix at best.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

what about splices on airconditioning hoses?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

With all this talk about hydraulic leaks, I was reminded of something I heard years ago. Any leak in a hydraulic system can be potentially life threatening! While most of the stories are tied to heavy construction equipment it bears remembering that if you ever get "bit" by a hydraulic leak, you should get medical attention immediately....and if the doc seems unconcerned, get someone who knows what they are doing!

I suspect that our hydraulic systems operate at a lower pressure, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

So Please Be Careful when working on your hydraulics!

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-bl...ion-Injury

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, what do you mean by 'bit' by a hydraulic leak? Do you mean: if you get hit by an out of control hose; if you get hydraulic fluid on your skin/eyes/ingested?; if you are under the coach and get squished (it's probably too late)?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I think he means the high pressure can inject the fluid under your skin. And on heavy equipment the temperature can be very high.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Splice on AC hose should be much better because the pressure is one tenth of a hydraulic system

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Newell said it's 2200 psi!

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513