You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Introduction

Hi,
My name is Richard Watts and married to Marla Shelton-Watts.
Am retired with a horse farm in Ocala, FL.
Recently purchased a 2002 Newell. Coach #619.  First coach ever.
We are complete novices.
This site has already been so helpful.  Thank you.  Love having a forum admin with the same year coach!!!
We've already put on 4000 miles and seem to come home with a list of "to dos" each trip.
Slowly knocking them off.
Will need to solve an annoying compressor noise and leak issue and I think the drive axle airbags.
Would love to understand when the 12v compressor is meant to operate vs the 110v (and when the engine compressor is working).
I think I have the prosine inverter figured out.  That may be short lived.
Will post questions and progress and pix as we learn.
When I figure out how to change avatar, I'll post pix of coach.
Richard

Richard & Marla
2017 Newell
Coach 1608
4 slides
45' 8"
Cummins 600 Allison transmission 6 speed
F150 Toad
Porsche C4S cabriolet
F350
Cadillac Escalade

welcome richard and marla,

i have coach 608, a 2002 as well. how many slides does yours have?

it is best to post questions in the appropriate topic area.

but i will throw something out here on the 12v compressor. it is set to much lower pressure than the 120v one. the 12v will power your internal air doors as well as your toilets and bode air entrance door if you have it.

if i am parked i tend to use the 120v one, but just sitting in my shop, i have just the 12v one on now.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Welcome to the forum. Several of us have the 120 volt compressor mounted in the generator compartment and as a result you have to standing next to it to hear it.

I recently discovered that my 2001 had severely aged and cracked drive axle air bags, and I changed them out as fast as I could. On my coach, and probably yours also, there are four bags and they are Firestone w01-258-9447. You may have to shop around to find four of them. As to the tag air bags, they have to be a special order from Firestone and it takes four to six weeks. The number for my coach is w01-358-9378. Newell has switched to Goodyear bags and they do not have the correct tag axle bags.

I suggest you also check to see if your front tires have been converted to the 365 tires and wheels. If not, your year coach should be easy to change out without major modifications to the hubs.

My Prosine inverter recently gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a Magnum which I am very pleased with.

Do not hesitate to post your questions because there are some very knowing guys on this forum. Good luck.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Richard and Marla a big welcome to a very friendly site that can offer free help in acquainting you with your new coach and help in solving any problems.  Many problems that arise in new coach ownership can be owner caused as they don't understand the workings of the different systems of their coach.  Feel free to ask any questions and I venture you will get some good advice based on experience.  Lots of the Gurus have coaches that are the same or very similar to yours.  It is just "friends helping friends" here.

Not sure if you got any service records with your coach.  If not my approach has always been to zero out the systems.  I start with all oils and filters.  New tires and batteries.  Then every system gets a complete cleaning, inspection and any work needed to bring it up to factory specs.  This way when I start to travel I know what has been done and many of the start up problems can be avoided.  Good Luck with your new coach!  Newell ownership has been a terrific experience for me.

We just got back from your part of the world and the horse farms are amazing.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Welcome Richard and Marla.

We will winter in New Port Ritchey again from Jan til March. We should get together then and look at some of the issues together.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Glad you found us Richard and Marla. There is no such thing as trivial questions. If you don't understand, ask.

To change the avatar, click on User CP near the upper left of the screen, then on the User Menu (which will be on the left) scroll down to Your Profile. Under that you will see Change Avatar. The image will need to be on the internet (you can use the Gallery section of this site to upload it) and should be small (max of 150 pixels by 150 pixels). You can resize an image using Windows Paint or any other photo editing software. Speaking of photos, you are welcome to create an album for photos of your coach in the Gallery section for everyone to view.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome,

Lots of help here, just ask!

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Welcome Richard and Marla,

I know the feeling well! My first coach was 653 and the learning curve has been a challenge to me. With the help of the gurus (and the terrific guys at the factory), I feel much more confident.

Please ask about anything that confuses you. I have found that there is usually a reason for things seeming to be whacky. Most of the time, its cause I didn't understand a "first principle"

Good luck and enjoy that beautiful coach!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Welcome to the group! There is a lot of shared knowledge here - do a search and you will probably find lots of answers here - there are other forums also that can answer questions (like the AquaHot forum) for specific things but most of it is answered by the wonderful members here. I am a newbie to Newells also and keep running into things needing fixed/replaced, I don't think the list ever really ends on these beautiful machines.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

hey, we have rudy....for aquahot. the best aquahot service tech in texas

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH