You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

City water vs. tank fill valves

Happy Birthday to my beautiful, wonderful wife!  Unfortunately for her Birthday the coach gave her problems as the water pump kept shutting off.  If we waited a few minutes and flipped the switch in the kitchen the pump would work for a few minutes and then seemed to lose prime.  The previous owner has the 12-volt pump disconnected (which is his MO for anything that fails...) so not sure if it works or not but I would like both systems working.  
Curtis at Newell said there is either a water valve (we have two a blue handled ball valve and a red handled ball valve) or the system has an automatic fill valve.
I know I have seen two faucet inlets in the bay to fill the tank - I can't remember what they are marked though... I think one is marked 'city something' and 'inlet something' (maybe) ... I will send pictures when I get home after while... 

Fresh Water and filtration circuit info: 
I talked to Curtis at Newell (excellent info and was very friendly and knew his stuff!) and they said that the water going to the ice maker/refrigerator and to the little water spigot next to the kitchen sink faucet BOTH go through a set of TWO filters (Everpure - will order new ones on Amazon).  This water comes either from the tank or from the city water supply so it will be well filtered.  I will be adding a UV filter inline also after these two filters so the water will not have any contaminants... 
The REST of the coaches water supply goes through a single (rope type) filter system that gets rid of sediment before getting inside including feeding into the tank from the city water fill.  

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Happy Birthday to Karen,

I'll try and help you with your new coach blues.  First a cold shower & now no water.

Since I don't know how your system is configured, I'll show you how mine works and hopefully it will help you.  Looking in the water compartment door toward the 110V water pump, I have four water system ball valves.  Two on the left, one in front and one on the right.  Up high on the left is a yellow handled ball valve that shuts off water to the 12V pump.  Down low on the left is a blue handled ball valve that is for draining the tank.  This handle should be up.  There is a red handled ball valve right in front of the pump that is down to allow water through that I never move.  The red handled ball valve on the right is the one I move depending on whether I want to operate off city water or the water tank.  Up to use city water & down to use tank water.  When filling the water tank have this handle down.  To avoid filling the water tank when on city water, put the red handle up.  I've attached a few pictures.

Not sure if you have the same water pump that I do, but I have never had it lose prime.  If you have the newer Mach 5 Headhunter water pump some folks have had priming issues just after filling due to the water being aerated.

Good Luck................................

PS I had to use a magnifying glass to read the small font in your post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Can we drop our coach off at your place for a couple of weeks? It could use some detail cleaning and it looks like you have run out of detail work to do on yours!!! As always, I wish I could keep ours as nice & clean as yours! You are truly an inspiration for the rest of us.

Wow Steve that is one clean bay! Your directions were right on! We now are on city water and are figuring out what is going on with the pump. Thanks very much! You made Karen a happy (birthday) camper!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Clint,
Thanks for the complement. I obviously work a little slower than you might like as I am in my 6th year of getting her in shape.

Adrian,
Glad we could put Happy back in Karen's birthday!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, did you replumb the wet bay or do you just never take the coach outside? :-) I have a new standard to live up to my friend...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

No I didn't replumb the wet bay. We just got back from south Florida & will be in SoCal in a few days. Over 12,000 miles so far this year. I just have a lot of time and energy.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Drop us a line if you're on I-10 across NM & AZ. We will be between Phx & El Paso next few days.

Hope you & Fran are doing well. Unfortunately we will be going across I-40

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Just for fun (and when I forget in the future) I made some help docs

Still can't load more than one image from an iPad :-(

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire