You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bummer

Went to fuel up the coach to find a problem with the Air Ride. There is an Air Leak under the left (driver's or street) side rear. I'm thinking that the problem could be with the Ride Height Valve since all was well when parked and I lower the coach when at storage. I'll be headed back in a couple days to troubleshoot with Patti's help.
I am thinking that I will lift and block the right side so that I can get under the coach. This should leave the problem side where it is when having the air leak. When in Ride Position the Air Leak is prevalent and bleeds that side down, I can send air to that area by going into Level Mode until it bleeds off any air available. I'll need Patti's help to turn the power on to recreate the leak. Also better to have someone there while I go under the coach at least while troubleshooting.
Could use some advice if anyone knows what Ride Height Valve & or Air Bag was used in the early 80's.
thanks in advance.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Not sure if they used the same ride height valves in 1982 that they did in 1992. Mine are Ridewell 6300BNAE16 height control valves on the rear.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Steve they replaced one on mine. I can check the invoice for a description. If there is one there I will PM you.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Steve, I know you know this...but thought I would throw a thought in for others following this thread. There are lots of times that I go out side my coach when running and hear a full-on leak from the height control valves. What I came to realize is that this is normal. If the coach is in a not level situation, the height valves will let air out to make things as level as they can.

It is a scary thing but I have not gotten used to hearing that. If the coach does not look wonky, you may not have a problem.

Again, I know you know, but we have a lot of new folks that this may trip up.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(10-21-2015, 10:47 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Not sure if they used the same ride height valves in 1982 that they did in 1992.  Mine are Ridewell 6300BNAE16 height control valves on the rear.

Thanks Michael, I'll look into that one but when I just tried it looks like at least the new ones are "push-on" connectors, mine are threaded.

(10-22-2015, 04:34 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Steve, I know you know this...but thought I would throw a thought in for others following this thread.  There are lots of times that I go out side my coach when running and hear a full-on leak from the height control valves.  What I came to realize is that this is normal.  If the coach is in a not level situation, the height valves will let air out to make things as level as they can.

It is a scary thing but I have not gotten used to hearing that.  If the coach does not look wonky, you may not have a problem.

Again, I know you know, but we have a lot of new folks that this may trip up.

Cheers,
bill

Bill, I have the older Leveling System that is all done with Toggle Switches. I do have an Auxiliary Air Compressor but it is only for the Brakes & Suspension. 

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Got down to the coach yesterday. I drove it onto leveling blocks just to get a couple more inches and set some chocks on the front wheels, then jacked up the passenger side and set wood blocks under the pivot point of the suspension. I found that the ride height leveling valve had a crack near the linkage attachment.

Not sure why it broke but it could be that the grommet degraded and allowed the linkage arm to come out of alignment but that is just a guess. I made a new grommet for the other side when we first got the coach (some of you guys from years ago may remember the air ride was out when we bought it), I check on the repair and it still looks great. I used some heavy fuel line over the metal spacer used for the original bushing and a couple of washers to keep it where it belongs. Here is what the passenger side looks like when the valve and linkage are installed:

Luckily for me I purchased a spare when we bought the coach, Newell stated that it would need some adapting since the original was not available (I remembered this after asking after finding my notes from previous repairs). The replacement valve is Prima Brake Components part number LV90054007 and will need some modification to the linkage arm to allow clearance for the pivot. I am thinking of straightening it and then drilling a new hole for the linkage attachment.

very good steve,

i just looked, that same valve is on ebay for 45 bucks with 6 bucks shipping. so they are still available.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Correction...the original Nuway leveling valve appears to have seized on the inside. I couldn't test this until I got home since the air is now down with the valve plumbing removed. Since the passenger side has the same time & movement on it I will be scheduling it to be replaced as well
***Please take not that Newell used an orifice or check valve in the fitting on one side so I feel that is important to reuse the fittings when replacing if possible.

I am headed back to install the new valve so I will post pics if it all works out as expected.

I set the old Linkage assembly on a piece of cardboard and traced the angle on full extension to see what was needed and it wasn't very much so I got out the angle grinder and made a slight modification. Here is what the new linkage arm looked like before installing:

Well the valve was not the entire problem, the rear air bag on the drivers side is bad;

That area was harder to get to until I raised the coach and blocked it up. Not sure what the cause was but the bags will be scheduled for replacement. Problem is that I still don't know what mine are so I will need to remove at least one to try and get some identifying info.
Looks like there is a single nut on the bottom, at least an air fitting on the top and sure a nut or two on the top. I didn't have the tools needed on the coach so I'll take a day off today (need to stack a cord of wood that was delivered yesterday) and get back down to remove the problem bag for identification.

Any advice to the best supplier for these Firestone Air Springs?

Steve,

Is the wet spot on the bag soapy water or some other fluid. If it's oil or hyd fluid, I just want to remind others of my air bag failure caused by hyd fluid on the bag. 

If anyone has a wet spot on the air bag caused by petroleum products, I would recommend replacement ASAP.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )