You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator puzzler

Monday had the generator radiator cooling fan motor replaced at Newell. It was previously replaced by them in May. All covered by their one year parts and labor warranty from Newell.

On Tuesday when I started the generator, the indicator light that tells you the generator is running failed to light up even though the generator was running. Also the 4 lights that indicate power is going to all 4 legs also failed to light up. And the amp meters all showed zero.

I reset all the breakers on the generator. And in the back of the coach.

Another thing is the 110 fan the provides air to the generator compartment was running but the 220 radiator cooling fan that was just replaced was not.
I restarted the generator several times same result. I let it sit for an hour went back out restarted it and everything worked fine.  Called Newell they suspected a bad breaker.

Returned to Newell this morning they replaced the breakers. This afternoon same thing happened except when I restarted the generator everything returned Except a 110 leg. Followed shortly by the other three legs quitting..  Restarted again and all legs have ran great for the last 7 hours.. No issues..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc, is this a Power Tech or a Martin set?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Power tech

Marc Newman

I'm not sure I can help much but there are a few points that might help.

The cooling fan for the radiator will be 240V and fed from a breaker in a seperate enclosure inside the generator box. There will likely also be a breaker for fans mounted in the back of the box to move air inside the box. This is combustion air and rejected heat removal for the engine. These breakers are ahead of any power fed to the coach which must go through the transfer first.

You stated " the indicator light that tells you the generator is running" was not on. I believe you are refering to the AC powered pilot lights, if the transfer isn't closed to the generator side no power will be going into the coach at all! There is also a pilot light on the control switch on some sets that is 12VDC powered, if it is not on then the engine isn't running.

The transfer switch (on your coach) does have voltage and frequency sensing so if your voltage output of frequency is low, the switch isn't going to close. Power Techs have had issues with their governor control allowing the set to run at reduced speed and the voltage isn't high enough to pass the XFER voltage sensing network.

It is very difficult to diagnose via email however I hope this might clear some of the fuzzy parts.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

The  light that shows the generator is running has always lit up prior to the transfer switch engaging.  When the transfer switch engages then I get power to the 4 legs. 

I have replaced the breakers that run the 240 fan 

Marc Newman

This is where it gets a bit technical. What is the voltage and frequency measured at the output of the generator. This would be inside the generator box with the cover of the controls removed. It could also be taken at the generator terminals of the XFER.

The pilot light that is part of the start/stop is another issue and not important at this time, we'll get to it later.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Spent 4 hours at the power tech facility in Tulsa.. Outputis 242 volts before the transfer switch straight out of the generator.. We replaced the small breaker on the box that holds the electronics not the main breaker.. Still am having the same problem.. The generator will run but will quit producing power sometimes. It seems to run ok for about 7-8 hours then will run shorter and shorter periods. When it had problems the engine continues to run and no power is being sent from the unit.. Let it set a day and the whole cycle continues..

Power tech wants to pull the whole unit out and go through it piece by piece.. Not sure how I feel about that.

Marc Newman

Update, last night I drove the 2.5 hours to Newell. Generator quit putting power to the transfer switch after about 2 hours. Replaced voltage regulator ( thank you Gordon jones) .. Generator ran 5 hours no issues.. Will take it on trip tomorrow hope it's fixed.

Marc Newman

Marc

That is good to know. Hope it is cured now.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Me too.. Appreciated your assistance doug...

Marc Newman