You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

water filter for 110v compressor

I installed a good used water filter for the 110v air compressor, a gift from Tom. I am curious to know what empties the water from the filter. There is a brass electrical valve of some type on the bottom of the glass bowl. I have attached a photo.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

I didn't get the picture, but I think I can help.

There is a N.O. ( normally open ) solenoid on the bottom of the water filter - I will call it a water separator. Here's how it is supposed to work....

There is a check valve where the air enters the air tank. Between the air tank and your compressor you should find the water separator you are talking about. When the compressor runs it sends voltage to the N.O. solenoid and the valve closes so no air can escape from the separator. But, when the air compressor stops, so does the voltage to the solenoid valve and it opens. You should hear a swoosh of air as the air between the compressor and the tank exits through the solenoid valve. Along with the air will be any water that has accumulated in the bottom of the separator.
Mine did not work properly when I got the coach and the result was water in the air tank. I fixed it and now no water in the tank.

Hope this helps. Russ

Sorry Chester - I was looking for the picture at the end of your post. Explanation still stands. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ, that is a good, logical explanation. I will need to watch mine for awhile because I do not think it is working. Did you replace your solenoid? If so, any information would be much appreciated.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

you can hear it release very loudly when the compressor shuts off from the well pressure switch. btw, on mine it is also the head pressure release for the compressor to make it easier to restart.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Chester,

The valve is a combination of the actual coil ( the solenoid ) and the part that responds to the change in magnetic field that the coil produces. There was a small piece of rubber that appeared to be a stop, but someone had become too long as was actually allowing the valve to open when not energized. I removed the offending piece of rubber and it has been working ever since.

Do you know when your auxiliary compressor runs? Mine is almost too quiet to detect, but if you can hear yours, just wait till it runs and hang around the separator until it stops. If you don't hear the woosh - it's time to take your valve apart and figure out what's not working. Image below is the rubber bumper I removed. The penny is just for scale. Good luck - Russ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Thanks Tom and Russ. I will let some air out to run the compressor and listen for the air rush when it shuts down.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Russ and Tom, I think I found a solution. Where the two parts of the solenoid screw together, I replaced the thin "O" ring with one that is fatter. Seems to be working.

It seems to me that the solenoid works in two directions. When the solenoid is actuated, the exhaust is sealed, but when it is not actuated, the rubber on the other end will exhaust the water only when there is enough air pressure left in the compressor line to move the spring loaded mechanical rubber seal. Perhaps your solution, as well as mine, will work as long as the check valve completely seals the tank from the compressor.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

(10-20-2012, 01:50 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Russ and Tom, I think I found a solution. Where the two parts of the solenoid screw together, I replaced the thin "O" ring with one that is fatter. Seems to be working.

It seems to me that the solenoid works in two directions. When the solenoid is actuated, the exhaust is sealed, but when it is not actuated, the rubber on the other end will exhaust the water only when there is enough air pressure left in the compressor line to move the spring loaded mechanical rubber seal. Perhaps your solution, as well as mine, will work as long as the check valve completely seals the tank from the compressor.

(10-20-2012, 01:50 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Russ and Tom, I think I found a solution. Where the two parts of the solenoid screw together, I replaced the thin "O" ring with one that is fatter. Seems to be working.

Mine will do teh same , after comporessor cycle for about 3-4 minutes it will make spit sounding noise and air blow out! I still check the small valve and get some water out by hand every 2 months or so1 since we are fulltiming , I can keep eye on it! I get about half of glass of latte color like water!!

Les Korcala

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

What is the make and model number of this solenoid valve?
I would like to install one. It was 93% humidity this morning
and my separator fills up too quick to keep manually dumping it.
Thanks.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve,

The pricing information from Newell is about a year an a half old, so may have gone up. Here is what I could find.

Automatic Valve, Novi, MI.
150 psi
Oper no. 7145.02?
5 watts
12vdc
1/16” orifice.

THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY IS $171.52 NC-12302 AND THE SOLENOID IS $120.44 IS NC-705290 !! THANKS; CHUCK

Hope this helps. Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )