You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blowout!

Had a blowout yesterday on the driver's inside. Luckily I saw this coming so was slowed down to find a safer place to deal with it.

No other issues but a long time waiting at roadside.

Good thing the new air bags didn't get damaged!

Question would be if anyone has been using Hankook? I need to buy a tire or tires here in Parker, AZ looks like he is quoting Toyo M177 or Hankook AL07.

Advice appreciated....he is telling me that Bridgestones are N/A maybe to him?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Bummer Steve. Looks like the entire tread section separated from the sidewalls.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

In 35 years of motor-homing I have had two blowouts.  They resulted in over $70,000 in damage.  Both were LF tires that were less than two years old.  I am fanatical on keeping proper tire pressure.  The first blow out was a Hankook.  The second was a Toyo. I now only run Michelins, but I have heard good reviews of Bridgestones.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks..
I checked the tire pressure before we left, as I always do with a digital pressure gauge. They were at the recommended 85psi, I saw this coming and pulled over (on a very dangerous and potentially hazardous or deadly portion of the 177 in the desert!!) and re-checked the pressure to find it at 107! and the tire showed a rounded tread. I lowered the pressure and decided to go somewhere safer so was only going about 35 or so when this happened & was able to limp into a much safer area.
These were new tires 6 1/2 years and 20K miles ago.
Anyway as Tom says "nothing a credit card can't fix!"
Still appreciating tire advice.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

The only tires I have ever blown were two Toyo front tires. They had only 15,000 miles, were properly inflated and only a few months old. Toyo would not honor the warranty because I could not save the razor sharp wire remains after the treads had separated. I believe Bridgestones are what we used to know as Firestones and you can ask Ford how that worked out for them. Nothing but Michelin for me even if I have to pay more and go a long way to get them. No experience with Hankook.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The Toyos I ran on the 77 coach rear tires and inflated to 85psi lasted 10 years. I never checked them hot so I can't comment on 107 except to say that my tires were load range "G" which can be inflated to 115 cold (according to Michelin's site, other manufacturers should be the same) so there is nothing inherent about 107psi that is hazardous, if you have been running awhile that pressure strikes me as being on the low side.

Here is an excellent article about temperature and pressure: http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/pub...s1/ra8.asp

I know there is some way to get this link to act as one but I've forgotten how to do it.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I'm curious if there was a hole in the casing, I'm trying to figure out how the air got out (other than the air you removed). The photos of the casing make it appear to be intact and to have produced just about the neatest tread separation possible.

I would also be interested in the internal condition of the casing once it is removed from the wheel.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(11-24-2015, 04:25 PM)77newell Wrote:  I'm curious if there was a hole in the casing, I'm trying to figure out how the air got out (other than the air you removed). The photos of the casing make it appear to be intact and to have produced just about the neatest tread separation possible.

I would also be interested in the internal condition of the casing once it is removed from the wheel.

I have had two blowout in the past 15 year on a MC. The first was on the inside rear which was my fault for running 10 year old tires. The next was on the right front on 1 year old dunlop. I now run only Michelins along with a tire monitoring system. This monitoring system give you temp and pressure in each tire along with the tow vehicle tires. Blowout are bad news so use as many ++++ you can.  

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Temp and pressure, I was present at this conversation in the pastSmile

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

We ran a set of Bridgestone load range G on the steer for 3 yrs with no problem. 2 blow outs on street side inside dual in 5 years. 1st was old tire when we were driving coach home. 2nd was tire due for replacement in a few months. Only damage was on 2nd and that ripped off mud flap & docking light wiring.