You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire blows, takes out airbags and HCV, what to do?

I blew an inside drive tire on the passenger side. The flailing tire took out the forward airbag and destroyed the Height Control Valve. 

Getting a roadside tire fix was as straightforward as it normally is. But with the airbag gone and the HCV wrecked there were two other problems that needed a hack before we could leave the emergency lane. 

Lucky for me I had a handsaw on board, so I cut two pieces of the 4x4 cribbing I carry to put between the frame and the suspension to replace the airbag. The piece for the drive axle should be 8 inches tall, and the piece to put between the tag suspension and the frame should be 7 inches tall. Cut the pieces so the end grain carries the load. I had pressure treated lumber but I think oak would be stronger. 

Next, I removed the air supply to the HCV and capped it. Of course this was easier with the tires removed !!!

The point of this post is to hopefully help a guru in the future if you have this incident. So, cut these two pieces of wood before your next trip and put them in the coach. Second make sure you have the fittings to cap and seal both 1/4 and 3/8 tubing. That's a handy hack for many airline problems.

I spent yesterday installing the bag and the HCV, and the new tires went on this morn, so we are good to resume our journey south. 

Now for the Thank You's. The gurus are a remarkable gang. @"encantotom" Tom had me the airbag info in minutes. @"ron skeen" Ron Skeen had a spare bag at his shop less than an hour away. @"bikestuff" Bill Johnson offered to overnite me a bag. I took Ron up on his offer and plundered his shop even though he wasn't at home. This forum is a fantastic resource with a fantastic bunch of guys.

Next, David's Commercial Tire in Knoxville deserves kudos for the initial rescue, crediting me for the temporary tire when I chose to install two new Michelins, and helping me get warranty coverage for the failed tire. These were really nice folks, and epitomized customer service

I chose to replace the outside dual for two reasons, the first being I did not know if the inside leaked pressure which would have overloaded the outside for some miles, and the tires would have been different diameters putting more load on the inside tire which already carries more load due to the crown in the road. I didn't want to wonder about potential tire damage whilst driving in hot weather

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

So the moral of this story is to follow Richard around since he's so darn handy! Bet those squirrels were really calculating.
Great outcome to what could have been a devastating occurrence.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Richard, you get an "atta boy" for a job well done. Thanks for the heads up.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

As I have said previously Richard, YOU are Batman!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Richard, do you know what caused the tire to blow?  It seems to me that you replaced the tires not long ago.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Sorry to hear of your problem and so glad you were able to fix it without a lot of problems!
I noticed Foretravel used blocks on our coach way back when - they would use a couple of 4x4 posts cut down to about 10 inches and place them between the frame and suspension to 'disable' the air bags and keep the coach up when working on it. For clarification: should I cut a couple of 7" 4x4's or do I need some 8" pieces to lay in horizontally stacked on top of each other?
------- 7 inches (---- indicates a block)...
------- 7 inches
???

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Blocks. Adrian cut so the end grain meets the frame . When I tried stacking them cross grain they split.

Chappell. The tires were two years old. I am no tire engineer, but it didn't explode, it looked to have deflated, lost the bead on the rim and wallowed around. The tire was still intact. It did have a quite a crack completely around both sides just where the tread meets the sidewall. I have no way of knowing if that was caused by extended running at a lower pressure or the crack caused the deflation. Any comments on the tire are SPECULATION on my part. I heard a muffled pop and at the same time developed a whoop whoop oscillation in the rear. I don't know if the pop was the tire or the airbag. I had been running for 200 miles in temps below 20 degrees. I do not have a tire monitoring system on my rear tires.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard those were tires you replaced at Newell when you bought it? Did you say something about warranty on them

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Sorry to here of the tire issue. Always amazing to me how much damage can be caused by a flat or blow out. If you are replacing one of the dual drive tires is it ok not to do both? That would leave one a smaller diameter than the other remaining one. Is the tread wear between them critical?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I replaced both. Primarily because I did not know if I had run the other tire overloaded for a period of time.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad