You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fool Proof Ride Height Adjustment

Safety Alert ! Always crib or support the coach before crawling under any part. 

During the recent HCV replacement incident, a moment of clarity appeared out of no where. For years I have been adjusting the Ride Height using trial and error. Well almost trial and error. I would measure the amount of movement I wanted between the coach and the ground and attempt to move the rod the same amount in the rubber P that attaches it to the HCV. It's a time consuming process starting with raising the coach for access, cribbing the frame, making the adjustment, removing the cribbing,  lowering the coach below normal, and then allowing it to settle out in travel mode. Rinse and repeat till it's good enough. 

There is a better way. One shot !

Use the leveling mode to set the coach height exactly where you want it, side to side, and front to back. If you disconnect the rod at the axle, not the HCV, the control valve (at least the King of Road) has a spring loaded neutral position. If you are lying between the duals and the tags, pull the rod to you until you can reach the hose clamp that tightens the P around the arm. Now this is the magic. Adjust the control arm so that the hole in the bottom of the arm is exactly aligned with the mounting stud on the axle. Tighten the hose clamp, slip the bottom of the arm over the stud, and you are done. When you think about it, setting the height where you want it, and then simply adjusting the arm length to keep the HCV in neutral at that height is bone simple. It really helps to lube the rubber grommet that slips over the stud. 

The front one will be a little tougher, only because it will be hard to get under there with the coach at travel height. If it's over a pit, no problemo.

Perhaps all of you have been doing it the easy way, you just kept it a secret..........

I don't know why I didn't think about this before. It kind of reminds me of earlier days in the gun hobby. It's possible to zero a scope with one or two shots. Put the crosshairs on the target and shoot.  Now clamp the rifle with the crosshairs on the bullseye and then adjust the scope until the crosshairs move to the bullet hole.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks!
A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A genius learns form other people's mistakes.

And, a Guru shares their knowledge.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Great idea! Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Now if I could get up the courage to crawl between the tag and drive wheels...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40