You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbie Looking at 2004 Newell

Hello everyone. I just joined today after lurking here a few days. I'm in the process of researching my first MotorHome. I've been a fifth wheel guy for about 20 years but now that we are spending 8 months or more on the road I'm thinking a Motorhome may be a better choice. 

We first began looking at 2006-2008 Monacos based on feedback from several folks I met in CGs. Then we researched new or nearly new Integras or Newmars. Really like the Integra but after reading about Newells I thought it may be an option. Now I'm considering a used Newell. We want a rear bedroom and 1.5 baths. 

I found one at Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogoches. I don't know it's number but It's a 2004 with 89K miles and has 2300 hours on the Ginny. At this point I've only seen the pics on line. They have it listed at 279,500. The only thing I really know about Newells is they are very well made and most people think they are on the same tier as Prevost. The new ones are out of my price range so I'm looking for one gently loved. Which brings me to a few questions please. 

1. Does the 2004 above sound like a fair starting price if it's in good condition? New coaches are normally bought at 25%-30% off. Should I expect that on a used coach from a Dealer?
2. On a 12 year old coach other than tires what should I be most concerned about?
3. The 2004 above has a Detroit 60S 500 HP with 89k. How difficult is it to find someone to work on them in smaller cities and where do you take them for repairs other than Miami?
4. Here is the Big Question: I'm not very mechanical inclined, I can change the fluids in my Harley but I would never go in the engine. So after reading here and other places I'm concerned about buying a 10 year old coach of any brand. How big a deal might this be. 
5. So we find ourselves trying to decide between a used Newell or maybe a new Entegra which comes with a 2 year warranty. I'm aware only I can make that decision but I would appreciate hearing from you folks because I expect many of you have been in the same place. 

Thanks all!

2004 HitchHiker Champne, 2014 Adventurer TC, 2004,F450
Looking for my first MotorHome. 

I have sent you an email message. Hope to hear from you as you have good questions.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(01-30-2016, 05:25 PM)Trainer Wrote:  I have sent you an email message.  Hope to hear from you as you have good questions.

Hi Mike,

I am over in TN NE of Knoxville. I have a 2004 which is my 3rd used Newell and my fifth coach. Would be glad to share what I know about Newell's and I sure everyone else would too. Welcome!!

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I will take first crack at your questions and other can jump in:

1) Although most used coaches are negotiable, 25-30% is a larger discount on a used coach than I have typically seen.
2) Condition is the most important issue on a coach, whether it be 5 years old or 35 years old. Tires and batteries are two of the items that require replacement every 5 years or so. You should take those costs into consideration as a part of evaluating the purchase price but they will have no affect of the long term quality of the coach. Consider tires and batteries as routine maintenance just like oil and filter changes.
3) Detroit Series 60's are very common engines. Any truck shop should be able to work on a Series 60 to get you going again. The drivetrains on Newells, especially in the 2004 range, can be serviced all over the country.
4) You indicated that you have had fifth wheels for 20 years. How comfortable are you with working on your fifth wheels? I am certain you have had microwaves, air-conditioner, 12 volt and/or 120 volt issues during that time. While a Newell is more complex, particularly in the area of the on-board pneumatic systems, the basics are similar. Of course any motorhome adds the complexity of the engine, transmission, suspension and braking systems. Being mechanical inclined really helps in owning any RV but there is nothing that a credit card can't fix.
5) There is a world of difference in the build of the chassis of a Newell and most other motorhomes. It is truly comparing apples and oranges. With infant mortality of components, I would be more concerned about purchasing many new coaches and trying to work out their new production bugs than buying a well maintained used Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Compare the materials in cabinet doors, finish inside drawers, cabinets & closets etc. I think you'll find a used Newell is head & shoulders above new cookie cutter coaches.

You have some good input.

It might be good to focus on a more generic issue. Motorhomes in general are more complex than fivers. Shore power, generator, and battery/inverter systems all interconnected are one example. Air operated doors, potties, leveling, and dump valves are another example. The fancier the coach means more complexity.

You said you weren't mechanically inclined. I think the more precise question would be are you interested in learning the systems and diagnosing problems. Some Newell owners don't pick up many wrenches, some work on everything, and most are somewhere in between. If you are paying someone else to do the wrenching, then the more you know about the problem, the less time and money you will spend to have someone unfamiliar do the work.

I understand the need for warranty by some folk. Coaches are complicated and expensive to repair. Here is my reality. They ALL have problems from time to time. New ones, older ones, entry level, and high end coaches ALL have problems from time to time. If you feel the warranty is important to you, then subtract 25 to 50k from your budget, set that aside for self funded warranty, and use the remainder of the budget to buy a used high end coach such as Newell, Foretravel, Wanderlodge, or even Prevost.

You will find most of the Newell owners on this forum share some common geneology. One, they are, or were technically employed, or have technical hobbies. Two, a Newell was not their first coach. We were attracted to Newell because we recognized the simple but elegant engineering used in Newell construction. We looked at the components and systems used and thought "I can fix that". There are very few parts that can not be sourced outside of Newell.

Lastly, I am not in the business of bashing other coaches. I love to look. We went in a new coach of the kind you are looking at last week. Our coach is 17 yrs old. Rhonda's comment on leaving the coach was "I wouldn't trade even".

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome Mike,
I have done extensive work/modifications on both travel trailers and two Newells. The construction of a Newell is unique and VERY superior to any other motorhome brand I have researched over the years. Everyone places a different priority on safety, reliability, ease of service, interior décor, colors, floorplan, etc. Generally the appliances and components in a Newell should last 20 years depending on time in service and preventive maintenance done.
I would suggest that you take a Newell factory tour.
There is a good description of their construction methods on the Newellcoach.com  web-site as well. That is probably the best way to see the construction techniques short of deconstructing/rebuilding one as I have!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I agree with everything said above and add a few comments. The Newell factory service, 24/7 help line and parts availability are superior to any of the other five coaches I have owned. I purchases one new coach, a Country Coach, and it took 18 months and an extension of the warranty to solve all of the problems. Now I will only buy a used coach after someone else has gotten the bugs out. Motorhomes of Texas is a good outfit to do business with and the price looks to be in the ballpark with just a little tweeking, if any at all.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

You'll find a biased crowd here fo certain! Smile

I was in the same shoes you were a couple of years ago. Older Newell vs newer XYZ brand. And it was our first motor coach purchase. After renting two different class A's, I decided if I couldn't get better quality than what I rented I wouldn't get a motorhome at all. My thought were these $300k motor homes I rented were essentially travel trailers with a motor/chassis as far as interior quality and I expected more. We looked at other newer models of other brands too.

Let me explain what I mean by quality. I see quality as the quality of the end user experience, not necessarily the technical reason behind it (although they are usually related). So here are my initial experiences that led me to Newell, but as I dug in deeper there were many reasons.

1. Cabinet and doors. We ripped off a flimsy cabinet door and our bedroom door wouldn't shut on our first trip in other coach. My family is rough on this kind of thing. I saw a Newell and knew this would not be a problem. My opinion is if corners are cut on something that you can see, what corners are cut on things you can't see?

2. Driving experience. I live in constant 20-30mph winds across Kansas. The other two coaches were terrible to drive in cross winds and were very rough and difficult driving in general. It was a chore driving the others. Every bump was accompanied by rattles and shakes. Newells both old and new drive like butter in comparison and no rattles other than your dishes! This was a HUGE difference in experience. It's actually pleasurable to drive Newells and most owners prefer driving them long distances than their cars. I know I do.

3. Insulated and quiet. In the heat of the summer or cold of the winter the others didn't stay as warm or cold. But worse for me was how loud they were. Newells are almost air tight and very quiet in comparison. Bedrooms are like a cocoon!

4. Stability. Floors are like walking on concrete in a Newell! The others felt like a trailer in comparison. A good test is to jump up and down and compare. Be careful though, if you're over 200lbs you might break the floor of some coaches. You'll just break your back in a Newell!

5. Windows and views. Newells have bigger windows and more light. Lots of motor homes feel closed in to me.

6. Slide outs. The Newell years I was looking at had bigger slides and had flat floors. We had a slide out get stuck in other coach. The quality of slides were not comparable.

7. Appearance. I've owned two Newells a 2003 and 2013. The 2003 paint job and side panels looked like it was brand new and almost no difference compared to newer one even after 11 years. Newells look "new" for a very long time. This is not the case with most other coaches of any brand.

8. Factory support/sevice.

I am not the most technically educated or mechanically inclined either but I've managed to fix many things on both Newells. The factory support is second to none. They have helped me with many things. Secondly this forum and the folks on it are a huge help. As you learn how the various systems work it gets easier and before too long you will be helping some other Newell owner fix his coach!

Good luck!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

(01-31-2016, 10:39 AM)Junior Guru Wrote:  You'll find a biased crowd here fo certain! Smile

I was in the same shoes you were a couple of years ago.  Older Newell vs newer XYZ brand.  And it was our first motor coach purchase.   After renting two different class A's, I decided if I couldn't get better quality than what I rented I wouldn't get a motorhome at all.  My thought were these $300k motor homes I rented were essentially travel trailers with a motor/chassis as far as interior quality and I expected more.  We looked at other newer models of other brands too.    

Let me explain what I mean by quality.  I see quality as the quality of the end user experience, not necessarily the technical reason behind it (although they are usually related). So here are my initial experiences that led me to Newell, but as I dug in deeper there were many reasons.  

1.  Cabinet and doors.  We ripped off a flimsy cabinet door and our bedroom door wouldn't shut on our first trip in other coach.  My family is rough on this kind of thing.  I saw a Newell and knew this would not be a problem. My opinion is if corners are cut on something that you can see, what corners are cut on things you can't see?

2.  Driving experience.  I live in constant 20-30mph winds across Kansas.  The other two coaches were terrible to drive in cross winds and were very rough and difficult driving in general.  It was a chore driving the others. Every bump was accompanied by rattles and shakes.  Newells both old and new drive like butter in comparison and no rattles other than your dishes!  This was a HUGE difference in experience.  It's actually pleasurable to drive Newells and most owners prefer driving them long distances than their cars. I know I do.  

3.  Insulated and quiet.  In the heat of the summer or cold of the winter the others didn't stay as warm or cold.  But worse for me was how loud they were.  Newells are almost air tight and very quiet in comparison.  Bedrooms are like a cocoon!

4.  Stability.  Floors are like walking on concrete in a Newell!  The others felt like a trailer in comparison.  A good test is to jump up and down and compare.  Be careful though, if you're over 200lbs you might break the floor of some coaches.  You'll just break your back in a Newell!

5.  Windows and views.  Newells have bigger windows and more light. Lots of motor homes feel closed in to me.  

6.  Slide outs.  The Newell years I was looking at had bigger slides and had flat floors.  We had a slide out get stuck in other coach.  The quality of slides were not comparable.  

7.  Appearance.  I've owned two Newells a 2003 and 2013.  The 2003 paint job and side panels looked like it was brand new and almost no difference compared to newer one even after 11 years.  Newells look "new" for a very long time.  This is not the case with most other coaches of any brand.  

8.  Factory support/sevice.  

I am not the most technically educated or mechanically inclined either but I've managed to fix many things on both Newells.  The factory support is second to none.  They have helped me with many things. Secondly this forum and the folks on it are a huge help.  As you learn how the various systems work it gets easier and before too long you will be helping some other Newell owner fix his coach!

Good luck!

Thanks Jaspn, very useful info.

2004 HitchHiker Champne, 2014 Adventurer TC, 2004,F450
Looking for my first MotorHome.