You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak

Re: the brake release valve....A condensed story .....To illustrate the goodness of strangers!
Our son had a Contemporary Christian /Band years ago. I transported them to a "Gig" one Sunday pm to a little church way up in a small town in rural Michigan. Of course by the time we got the band all loaded up to leave it was late. The brakes on my 'ol 1978 Newell would not release!!!! There were two ladies leaving the church as I walked back in searching for help. One of them knew the local school bus mechanic. He didn't attend church there but still came at 11:00 pm on a Sunday night to check it out. After determining the problem we went in his truck to an old bus garage. Way in the back on a dusty shelf he found the proper valve. I believe they had used the same valve on a Ford school bus but it was now obsolete. He installed the valve for me and would not take any money!!!!
My message to Brad...I'd replace that valve. It can leave you immobile if it malfunctions.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Ooh ooh. The clunk clunk is the microphor toilet pumping air into the hopper because the sequence valve is sticking when you flush the potty. Causes are high water pressure or valve needs to be disassembled and lubed

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

And oh yeah. On the brake release valve, I am wondering why it would have air pressure on it constantly. Doesn't it just get pressure when the brakes are applied?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Brake relay valve allows the rear brakes to be applied and released more quickly than if the air was supplied and released through the foot valve. It is supplied with air pressure at all times form the brake tank and the signal air pressure from the foot valve simply triggers its release into the brake cans when needed.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon thank you for that explanation. It makes perfect sense.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard I like your suspicions and I am past due for lubing. Plus I like it hoping it has nothing to do with the air leak issue.

Well I found one more small leak  today. Last visit to Newell I had them put a shut off valve in the gene box as a main shut off because I thought I had a small leak in the manifold. well the ball valve handle was leaking easily fixed just tighten up on the packing nut. Hmmm
Forgot to check the switch in the coach, maybe tomorrow.
Also sprayed the item in the picture with lubricant and hit the brakes a few times just because who knows maybe maybe not.
HD, That was quite a sunday night. I am hoping I don't need to pull anything out.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,

The clunk clunk or bloop bloop if it is the Microphor is definitely consuming air. Does the noise stop when the air pressure is low?

Check out the threads on the Microphor. The basic sequence is flap opens, water runs, flap closes, and AIR pressurizes the hopper to push the water in the hopper into the waste tank. If the sequence valve doesn't quite finish it's stroke, air will continue to pressurize the hopper.

This is fresh to me cause it happened two weeks ago, when one of the Microphors did this very thing. Rhonda said, what's that noise? Investigation of the knocking sound led me to the potty. In our case high water pressure (having the pump on and hooked to city water) caused the sequence valve to stick.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard
We are boondocking so no shore connections and the air pressure is maintained from the 12 volt compressor which keeps the pressure perhaps a bit lower than normal and i closed off the air tank from the main air supply system. If it is the toilet probably just needs lubricating. Hopefully.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Toilet air leak fixed. 
I took the air water sequence valve apart and cleaned it and lubed it with silicone grease and now works great.
But the air to the toilet was supplied by the 12 volt compressor and has nothing to do with the main air supply so there is still a leak in the system some place. Checked the valve at the brake pedal and is ok. There is one other place which I can not get to and that is the floor section that is air operated that covers the steps. Maybe when I get back on the road in the spring it will fix itself just by using it thinking maybe a sticky something that will become unstuck. I can hope can't I.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,

I think you will find that although the 12v does supply air to the toilet, the 120VAC compressor also supplies air to the toilet. There is a check valve to prevent the 12V from pressurizing the supply system. That is the way most Newells are plumbed. But.......no two are exactly alike.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad