You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak

We used to use a device like this in the shop I worked at. They can be mounted inline to lubricate an air motor etc. I'm not sure if the flow could be limited enough for MH applications.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Over...AL_Series)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for the link for the oilers HD. They should work fine.
Just need to figure out the best place to put it. One person on the wanderlodge site put one
on the 110 volt compressor, not sure if that is the best place or not.
Others are adding oil via a schrader valve.  Any thoughts?

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I've been thinking about this. Admittedly I have a very limited understanding of even the simplest air systems on these coaches. It was not unusual to see a fine oil mist emitted from an air motor when there is an oiler upline. My concern would be that anywhere there is air exhausted from the system there will be a bit of oil. You may only experience an odor and that may be acceptable most of the time.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Adding an oiler might help keep the rust down on the air system/tanks but I wonder if oil would damage the inside of the airbags?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I wondered that also. Only a minute bit of oil should be in the system as it is a pretty large area. Also
the air is evacuated from time to time. If the truckers use this method as I understand they do it must not be an issue.
Oil might keep the bags from drying out and cracking. Another thread mentioned how the oil is good for seals keeping them lubed.
Could be wrong. Need some feedback from an expert out there.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Here's another one mentioned on the WOG site....I was a machinist and QC inspector at ARO corp. before they got bought up by Ingersoll-Rand

To start with I am a skeptic of adding oil to our air systems.

" If the truckers use this method as I understand they do it must not be an issue."

I try to keep up with trucking trends as they cover so many more miles than motorhomers, which I believe leads to many of our problems.  I am not reading where the trucking industry is adding oil misters to their air systems.  Instead I read articles explaining how important it is to remove all contaminants from the air systems, which includes oil.  Here are a few examples:

"Moisture, oil and dirt can disrupt operations and cripple the truck, or even cause it to crash. That's why the compressor has a filter at its outlet that removes most contaminants. What it can't catch is grabbed by a condenser/separator and then an air dryer."  Footnote:  December 2010, TruckingInfo.com

"Compressed air usually has some water and some compressor oil in it, which is bad for the air brake system."  Footnote:  2005 Commercial Driver’s License Manual

Remember there are systems that are set up on our coaches to remove the contaminants from our system.  Unfortunately our air systems normally receive very little attention & maintenance.  Truckers pay far more attention to their air systems which includes draining their air tanks DAILY.  Compare that with what motorhomers do.  How many motorhomers can tell you when the air dryer was changed?  I have given assistance to several Newell owners who do not know where their air dryer is, how many air tanks they have & where they are located.  I have seen many air tanks that the water removed is measured in quarts.

This is just my opinion based on experience and my research.

I'm ready for your replies:      

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

This is why I asked. Thanks for the discussion. I had two concerns. One was impact on airbags. Two, was the issue that the oil would need to stay as a aerosol to make it to valves and solenoids. I just don't see the flow rate to keep it in an aerosol in our systems. We don't generally move a lot of air at any time so as a I thought about it more I convinced myself that the oil might separate as soon as it hit the first tank and not actually reach anything I was trying to oil

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Interesting and surly something to ponder on. Wonder how long the Wanderlodge folks have been using oil in there air systems. Anyone know anyone over there?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I found a few interesting articles that has been enlightening. Thanks Steve for the input which caused me to look further into this matter. If anyone is interested you can look at the articles in the attached links. The last is very interesting and even has a test after the article. 
Makes me wonder what the condition is of our dryers that don't get much use. Also raises a couple questions that I ned to find answers to. Does my compressor have its own oil reservoir or is it from the engine? Just what condition is my dryer in? and yes I do need to install pull drains on my air tanks at least the main tank and drain any moisture at the end of the day when I drive.  

No I won't be adding an oil mister to the system. 

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/stor...dryer.aspx

http://www.todaystrucking.com/air-system-basics

http://www.truckingtruth.com/cdl-trainin...ram/page41

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.