You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2001 DS

To add to Michaels post....

On my 2003 when I got it, it was my first coach so I did not know what it was supposed to drive like. Not only did it ride rough, but it also leaned too much in curves. A reverse camber road would scare me to death.

However, I have done a few things to my coach and now it not only rides smoothly, it does not lean in the curves (much).

Here is what I did...

1. Change the tires. My tires were near the end of their life from an age (not mileage) point of view. Changing the tires had a huge impact on the smoothness of the ride. Mine came with 365's on front so I cannot address the ride with 315s but I know that I can run lower air pressure than with the 315's thereby smoothing the bumps.

2. Added rear sway bar. This made a huge improvement in the amount of lean in the curves. I already had a front sway bar.

3. Change the shocks. Some folks believe that if a shock does not have oil on it then it is still good. Not true. I have now changed all the shocks on my coach (mileage 225k) and it made a big improvement in not only the ride, but also the leaning.

Now my coach drives much better and probably better than when it left the factory. I am very pleased with the ride performance now.

For what it's worth...

Folks that I know who have driven the IFS vs the 2004 ZF suspension say that this is the biggest jump in terms of performance. In other words.... The jump between the Ridewell and the IFS was a jump in terms of performance, but the jump between the IFS and ZF type with steerable tag was a big jump. From what I hear the active suspension was not as big of a leap forward.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama