You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

hard start / fuel pump replacement

My generator would require several attempts to start after sitting for a day or more. It would start and stutter, start and stutter, and finally catch. I changed all filters with no change in the behavior. Gordon helped me wire the pump so I could prime it from inside switches. That helped for a while, but the hard to start was getting worse with time. It changed from a nuisance to a situation where I could imagine it not starting at all. 

It was pretty evident that it was not maintaining fuel pressure. I suspected that the pump was allowing the pressure to leak away when the generator sat for any length of time.

It took a call to Carter to confirm a new part number for the old pump, but here is the new Carter pump number .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIQ...ge_o01_s00  This is for the Kohler genset with Yanmar engine. 

I am happy to say that after sitting for week, the genset started with the first touch of the switch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 03-16-2016, 05:34 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Erniee - 03-16-2016, 04:43 PM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by DK on the road - 09-23-2018, 07:39 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 09-23-2018, 08:16 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by bestgenman - 09-23-2018, 09:14 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by DK on the road - 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM