You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Line 2 voltage drop

Last fall I started to have a problem where light on line 2 on the 240 side would flicker and eventually the other legs would flicker and generator would stop making power.  Replaced voltage regulator and all was good for last 6 months. On trip over the weekend line 2 again began to flicker. I also noticed volts on the meter were no longer at 120 but 110.. I shut generator down. Several minutes later restarted all was fine again..   Seems to happen after genny has been running awhile.. Any ideas? This happened several times over the weekend..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc, I'll try to help.  First , have you taken a voltage reading at the XFER generator inputs with a known meter?  I get a lot of calls blaming the generator when it usually turns out to be something else.  If you have a bad contact in the XFER, then you will see a voltage drop on your in house meters.

Generator voltage regulators don't (the type that is in your coach) look at leg to neutral.  They sense the 240V output and adjust accordingly.  If the XFER shows a difference leg to neutral (white) at the gen terms, go further back to the generator output breaker and look there.

you can call me or PM me if you like.
614-271-7488

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Update. It actually was line 2 120 line that the flickering and voltage drop was on. But it was directly tied to having the dryer on and moving. Stay still, dryer on ,no issue..

Marc Newman

Gordon is pointing you to look at transfer switch. I think he is right.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm thinking so too.. If so it will be transfer switch number 5 since I bought coach. Newell has covered everyone of them..

Marc Newman

Marc, can you tell us what the issues have been with the  XFER's removed by Newell?

Thanks for your help @Richard.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Marc,

If this xfer switch is replaced then keep it. If you would like, I will take it apart and try to determine the failure mode.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )