You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbie, FL, Looking for a Classic, $40-25K

Henry, welcome and good luck with your search. I am happy to report that our 1982 38' Classic serves us well for what we do. We "part time" spending the winters away from the weather up here.

Something else to consider besides the Length is the Width. Our '82 is 8' wide and I don't want anything any wider just because of the freeways around here, just looked and some of the lanes are less than 10' and even 9.3' on the Long Beach Freeway. Saw another report that states some roads are even 9' wide!
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/24/...y-wheels24

The Detroit 6V92 is no "boat anchor" and does a fine job of moving us along with good mileage. We have no plans to repower although you do need to learn how to drive it when on grades, there is a reason that the best of the best used these Diesels. The 5 Speed Alison has also been dependable and they make a great combination.

Haven't been to any National Parks just yet but we do visit allot of California State Parks that have a 34'-35' size limits. Yes, I try to get away with stating that we are 34' (a trick I learned from another Classic Owner). I always get a kick when we show up...the typical response is "hope you fit!". But the fact is that I try to look at the park before hand (road trips when staying nearby) so that I can get a look and see if we may fit, this has also helped identify places that we didn't want to stay at as well. I have also used Google Maps to help get a better look when going somewhere new.
Patti will go out with the radio and help guide me when making tight turns...our cousin Carol once stated "I'm impressed" after we wiggled our way out of a site at Doheny Beach, CA.

As a side note I am almost finished with our 1958 Airstream an 18' Traveler that will be used for camping at National Parks, State Parks etc.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(03-29-2016, 08:16 AM)hcvdg Wrote:  Thanks, I'd like a turbo motor (like the 6V92TA). My 4016 had a NA 8V71, and lost power at higher altitudes.

Going up long grades of 6%, or more you will not go fast with the 6V92 TA, but you do get there.  You have to keep the RPM's near redline (2100 RPM's is redline) to keep the engine cooler.....these series 92 engines do not like overheating!  They have rear facing radiators with belt driven fans......the higher the RPM's the more air the fan moves, which helps keep the temps down.  Typically (and we pull a 26' enclosed car trailer) we run about 30-35 up long grades in second gear (we also have the Allison 5 speed transmission like Prarieschooner) at 2,000 RPM's.

I noticed a 78, 35' in CO,  with a Cat 3208 (not sure if is a turbo), I've also seen 35 footers with a Cummins 903 (not a repower).

I'm not sure if they were putting the 6V92 silver edition with turbo in 1978.  If it is a silver edition it will be painted silver....if it is pre-silver it will be painted a greenish blue.  The pre-silver Series 92 engines tended to use much more oil thatn than the silver edition.

I plan to buy a coach that doesn't require a re-power (or any other major work for that matter).

I like the idea of a Splendide (sure my wife will), what do you give up to make room for a washer drier?

Our Splendide is located in the bottom half of what would be the pantry/storage area next to our Dometic refrigerator.....we will have plenty of pantry space, nevertheless.

Also, is it standard operation run the generator (to power the A/C) while going down the road, or do the coaches of this era have enough main engine driven A/C?

Prarieschooner and I both have engine driven dash air, but I believe he took out his compressor as it never worked properly.  Mine worked well for years, but the long run from the rear of the coach to the dashboard means more opportunities for leaks to develop in the lines, and ultimately I gave up chasing the leaks.  Now I just turn on the generator to run the front A/C if it is too hot.  We do try to avoid being where it is too hot, so that rarely is necessary.

Thanks for getting me up to speed ob Newells, keep an eye out for a good coach for me.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Classic engines history:

First remember that Newell has always put the customer's wishes first so if a customer wanted a different engine, Newell would try to make it happen.

In the 1960's and early 70's, Newells used gasoline engines, primarily 330 Ford, 391 Ford, 401 Ford, 534 Ford and 460 Lincoln although a few were built with 440 Chrysler/Dodge engines.

1972 saw the introduction of the Newell rear mounted diesel powered motorhome. There were still front engine gasoline powered Newells built through 1975.

Beginning in 1972, the most diesel powered Newell had a Cummins V555. By 1973, the Caterpillar 1160 also was being used. By 1976, the Catepillar 3208 was being used in lieu of the 1160 while use of the Cummins 555 continued. By 1979 Detroit Diesel 6V71 and 6V92's were being installed although they were not turbocharged at that time. By the early 1980's the primary engines were the 6V92T's (turbocharged typically 350 HP) and the Cummins V903 turbo (also typically 350 HP).

The 1985 models began offering the Detroit 8V92T (actually the last 1984 has an 8V92 in it) and the 1988 models began using the DDEC (Detroit Diesel Electronic Control) engines.

Classic Size History:
1967: 25' and 30' (excluding bumpers)
1972: Rear engine chassis shortest length was 33'
1980: Shortest Newell was 36'.
1986: Wide Body (102") became available on the 40'.
1986: Most 39 and 40' coaches had tag axles although they could be ordered without the tag.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My '73 had a Cat 1160, the non-turbo predisessor of the 3208. 3208's come normally asperated and with turbos both, you'll need to ask. There are still a lot of boats running the 3208's so parts are redily available. It was anemic on hills, but got 12 MPG pulling an extended cab Ranger 4x4 pickup.

From what I hear, parts for the Cummins 903 and 555 (triple nickle) are getting expensive and harder to find.

You probably can't find anything under 38' with a 8V92, but the 3208 or 6V92 (with turbos) would be my personal choices. There are some older Newells out there already re-powered to Cummins 8.3's. Not sure, but @retro has/had a pre-80 Newell under 40' with a re-power for sale.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks Jon. I updated by notes to show that the 1160 was used in some 1973's also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Just remember to save some funds each year for the inevitable upgrade. Ever since our first 35' Foretravel we have said with EACH coach 'This will be our last coach'... Famous last words... We went from 35' to 38' to 42' to 40' to 45'! I loved the 35'er but would not ever think of living in one again. The storage was just too small and it is like a woman's purse (or a hard drive), it's never big enough after a while... Definitely go with a Turbo especially on a 3208, great engine btw, I loved that kitty cat!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

All great info, thanks to all for taking the time to educate me.

For an example (might be sold prior to my purchase), how about giving me feedback, recommendations, questions to the merits/pitfalls of this example 35' Newell for sale.

To me, it looks nice, but seems they are looking to recoup some of the cost of the engine replacement.

I like the laminate (my wife hated the avocado in our, now sold, Bus Conversion).

http://sellmyrv.today/listing.php?listing_id=157055

I 'd wonder about the age of the rubber (for example). What would you gurus ask the seller?

Thanks

Henry

I did not ever want laminate after having Foretravels with their gorgeous hardwood Walnut cabinets but...
Our Newell has ALL laminate inside and I have grown to really like it. It is way easier to maintain as all you have to do is wipe it off, if you get a stain or water it's no big deal whereas wood we were always cleaning, polishing and when it got wet we had to use turpentine/linseed oil on it.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

If you are only asking get copies of the Invoices for the engine work and maintenance records. How old are the tires? How old are the Batteries? Are all of the systems working?
When/if there;
Make sure you get a "Cold Start". If they sneak down and start it before you get there be cautious.
Have Oil Samples pulled & sent to a Lab for Analysis. While this may not be conclusive with no others to compare against it will show potential catastrophic problems.
I'd consider having the Primary Fuel Filter replaced just to get a look at the Fuel.
Take a look at the Date Code on the Tires. 5-7 years & no longer for safety providing there is no weather cracking.
Make sure that you try all of the systems & take notes during your inspection.
and so much more.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(03-29-2016, 08:13 PM)hcvdg Wrote:  All great info, thanks to all for taking the time to educate me.

For an example (might be sold prior to my purchase), how about giving me feedback, recommendations, questions to the merits/pitfalls of this example 35' Newell for sale.

To me, it looks nice, but seems they are looking to recoup some of the cost of the engine replacement.

I like the laminate (my wife hated the avocado in our, now sold, Bus Conversion).

http://sellmyrv.today/listing.php?listing_id=157055

I 'd wonder about the age of the rubber (for example). What would you gurus ask the seller?

Thanks

Henry
Henry I sent you an email

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd