You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front Tire Blowout!

Headed to Newell to get some little stuff done plus a new bladder around the front driver's side slide.  5:00pm traffic through Ft. Worth was brutal.  Traffic had just cleared and we were finally able to put the pedal to the metal around the Texas Motor Speedway and WHAM, right front tire blew.  My wife said..."what is that vibration?"...I said.. "Oh, it's just the road" but no sooner had I said that when the tire blew.  I was in the center lane and I think the person in a small car right to my right had a heart attack.  I was able to get to the outside lane and off the highway, thank God! Have called Massey Emergency Service. They have our tire and will come over in a couple of hours.  This is the first blowout with Coach #638 and it handled very well, exciting but much better than the 1990.  We had 3 front tire blowouts with our 1990 Newell and THAT was a thrill ride. My resolve to get the 635 tires has been reinforced. The Wheel seems to be all right and doesn't appear to have torn up any metal.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

ed, glad you are ok.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

You will like the bigger tires even though they really don't look like they will fit (WAY too big!) but they do and they are fine. They are much smoother than the old tires also since you don't have to run as much air pressure in them for the weight.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Ed, how old was your 315's?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Any blow out that ends in just having to replace the tire is a great blow out. Glad you are safe and that no additional damage was done.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(03-28-2016, 08:38 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Any blow out that ends in just having to replace the tire is a great blow out.  Glad you are safe and that no additional damage was done.

Yes...I agree because we've had to buy not only tires but rims and had to gather up fender pieces from the highway...but the saga continues.  
The deal is now...the guy can't get the tire on the rim. His Shop gave us options (at first) to buy the tire from him, he wouldn't charge us for the labor and get somebody else to put the tire on the rim.  OR...he could take the rim back to the shop, they would put the tire on and bring it back in the morning and put the wheel and tire on.  We sort of objected to those two options, so now the tech who came out has taken the tire and the rim and swears that they will call somebody in to put the tire on the rim and bring it back later tonight.   As it is 11:09 now, I guess it will be later tonight! Fortunately, we gave ourselves plenty of time to get to Newell. If we can just keep our sense of humor we'll be fine.

(03-28-2016, 07:38 PM)qcj Wrote:  Ed, how old was your 315's?

The date code on the tire is 2012.  We purchased the coach June of 2014 and have been thinking about replacing the front tires ever since.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

Hi Ed, Good job getting it stopped safely...Did u have any kind of tire pressure monitor etc. on your Newell?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I realize we have different size tires than you, Ed and Lynda, but any competent mobile tire service should be able to change the tire while your rim is still on the coach. We had our left front tire blow out back in 2008 on I-10 half way between the California border and Mesa, AZ. Our ERS service contacted a mobile tire place in Mesa who brought with them the correct sized tire, jacked up our coach, removed the remnants of the blown tire from the ALCOA rim, then, using large tire levers, levered the new tire on to the rim, inflated it and we were on our way.....took less than 30 minutes start to stop. The ERS paid the travel time (3 hours round trip) and labor....all I paid for was the tire.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Wow! reminds me of last winter! Glad you are safe and hopefully this ordeals is short-lived.
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...ht=blowout

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch