You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

BASEMENT AC UNIT PCB

HI GUY'S

getting ready for our trip to NY next week & was testing my AC units.

The hi / lo Fan is the only thing that works on the front ac unit. The compressors do not come on even with

the thermo set @ 60.

All circuit breakers and the 20kw gen are on & the rear AC works fine.

I removed the PCB & only can see two wires on the back of the board that could be replaced.

Thinking of finding a PCB repair shop to check all the components. (looks like all the capacitors are inside

the ac case.) any ideas?

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

It could be that the board has failed....or the caps, or it could be that the compressor is shot. Have you put a clamp on ammeter on the leads that go to the compressor? Any draw at all?

There is a post on here about my experience with a melt down of one of the control boards. you will want to look closely at the connectors that go from the board to the compressor.

Also, the caps are located right behind the board if I remember correctly.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Mark,

First thing to check is put a voltmeter on the output of the board going to the compressor..There is a good schematic on both the cover and in the SCS manual.

Let's go one step at a time, the answer to this question will cut the problem in half. If no voltage, then it's a board or thermostat problem. If voltage, then it's a compressor, capacitor, or connection problem.

Will the 2nd compressor come on if the setpoint is 3 degrees lower than the actual?

Call me if you like, I am happy to help with the SCS units. 817 223 2056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just to eliminate the obvious, was the aqua hot switch on when the a/c didn't work?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forrest....I would hate to admit how many times this has bitten me!

Richard, we should develop a flow chart for trouble shooting AC problems. Your approach is so much more cogent than mine! Smile

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(04-12-2016, 07:30 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Forrest....I would hate to admit how many times this has bitten me!  

Richard,  we should develop a flow chart for trouble shooting AC problems.  Your approach is so much more cogent than mine!  Smile

Richard,

Removed the PCB from the rear basement AC unit & installed it in the front AC unit.

Front unit works fine with the rear units PCB.

So it is the PCB that is bad.[attachment=3751][attachment=3752]

Added views of the front & back of PCB.

Looks like one is newer (one working) & u can see the big difference in the runs.

Not sure if attachment are working.

Going to look for someone to compare the boards.

(04-12-2016, 07:30 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Forrest....I would hate to admit how many times this has bitten me!  

Richard,  we should develop a flow chart for trouble shooting AC problems.  Your approach is so much more cogent than mine!  Smile

Richard,

Removed the PCB from the rear basement AC unit & installed it in the front AC unit.

Front unit works fine with the rear units PCB.

So it is the PCB that is bad.[attachment=3751][attachment=3752]

Added views of the front & back of PCB.

Looks like one is newer (one working) & u can see the big difference in the runs.

Not sure if attachment are working.

Going to look for someone to compare the boards.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
Twin Slides, Rear Bath

99 Escalade ESV.

Mark, your attachments did not come through. I had my control boards rebuild at a very reasonable price. SCS-Victory RV & Truck Climate Control Repair Service. You can Google them for their phone and address.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Mark,

The runs and the connectors for the compressors are the weak link. A couple of us have installed super heavy duty relays externally to carry the current using the original output from the board to trigger the relays. When you get the board checked out, we could walk you through the upgrade. It's killing a fly with a tank but I don't worry about the board any longer.

I know your an astute guy cause I've looked at pics of your work. You can do a quick check on the board yourself by simply using the voltmeter to check continuity from the connector connection for the compressor to the back of relay. It's pretty straight forward looking at the trace (run) on the back of the board. If those traces have continuity, then its likely one or both relays on the board are kaput. But's that's guessing without some diagnostic with the Voltmeter.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-12-2016, 05:02 PM)Richard Wrote:  Mark,

The runs and the connectors for the compressors are the weak link. A couple of us have installed super heavy duty relays externally to carry the current using the original output from the board to trigger the relays.   When you get the board checked out, we could walk you through the upgrade.  It's killing a fly with a tank but I don't worry about the board any longer.

I know your an astute guy cause I've looked at pics of your work. You can do a quick check on the board yourself by simply using the voltmeter to check continuity from the connector connection for the compressor to the back of relay. It's pretty straight forward looking at the trace (run) on the back of the board. If those traces have continuity, then its likely one or both relays on the board are kaput. But's that's guessing without some diagnostic with the Voltmeter.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
Twin Slides, Rear Bath

99 Escalade ESV.

Richard...
Had the pcb's rebuilt....one was bad. Installed both & they both work.

Left for ny ..now at Rabun gap ga. Rv. Park. Ran both units & after one hour

The front one quick again. Turned it on a few hour later & it worked.

I will try your relay fix. Just noticed a newer Newell in this park ...

Thanks again.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
Twin Slides, Rear Bath

99 Escalade ESV.