You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Jacking cribbing lifting crawling under the coach

I need to get under the coach and would like to do this while in the campground.  We are sitting on about 24" x 24" thick concrete runners (mobile home park) so I was thinking about getting some wood to create a ramp.  I have done this for other coaches but not for one this heavy (about 20k on front wheels).  What would you recommend for wood to use for this?  I plan to throw it away when we leave so it does not have to be 'nice'...  I need to get some good jack stands for it but just don't want another thing to store in the basements (we are full-timers)... What I really need is a 25' stacker trailer to store all this junk (and two cars) in! Lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

This is a general rule of thumb 4x4 cribbing is 5000 pounds per column.

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/...g-use.html

Be carefull, stay safe.

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

So, this is just my OPINION, please take it that way. I think the idea of using the ramps to raise the coach is a marvelous way of doing it, and I will eventually build myself a set.

HOWEVER, I strongly feel that the ramps are NOT a substitute for properly cribbing the coach when you get under. Why? I have witnessed what happens when an airbag fails. Even with the coach on ramps, it could drop 10 to 12 inches with a failed air bag. If you happened to be under a low part of the coach such as the tranny, it could pancake you. Is it likely? No of course not, but the consequences of an air bag deflate could be dire.

Just sayin.......one person's opinion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I bought a couple of 20 Ton Battle Jacks and used numerous 12"X10" and 10"X8" Wood Blocks (that is what I had laying around)

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I have the wood and have been thinking of building the ramps. Recognizing that they will be heavy, I plan on using metal to extend wheels out from the front or high end. Then they can be moved like a wheel barrow, but would not rest on the wheels.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica