You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Roof climbing and ladders

We have a 14 foot collapsible aluminum ladder (that I really like) and was wondering how safe it is to walk on the roof?  I need to get up there and redo the silicone (use sikoflex) around the screw holes.  Can I walk anywhere on the roof or do I need to stay on the 'ribs'?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian, I have walked on mine numerous times.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I'm up on my roof at least once a month....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I try to place my feet where the ribs are ie. step on the rivets.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

So I finally got up the nerve to walk on the roof to look at the useless Braund TV antenna. I used my telescoping 14 foot ladder and climbed up but when I got to the top I realized there is absolutely nothing to hold on to... I then realized that all my other coaches with ladders had top parts that anchored to the roof with a hand rail at the top. This made me a little uneasy so I gave up (the older I get the more I give up)... I was thinking that maybe some of the big suction cups used to remove windshields might work on the metal roof, I guess the would support my weight. Thoughts? I can't wait to have a shop for the Newell...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The early 1990's Newells had small fold out steps on the side and two grab handles mounted on the roof to help with getting on and off the roof. I don't use the steps myself since I carry a telescoping ladder in the bay but I really find the two grab handles on the roof to be helpful.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(10-02-2016, 01:06 PM)pairodice Wrote:  So I finally got up the nerve to walk on the roof to look at the useless Braund TV antenna.  I used my telescoping 14 foot ladder and climbed up but when I got to the top I realized there is absolutely nothing to hold on to... I then realized that all my other coaches with ladders had top parts that anchored to the roof with a hand rail at the top.  This made me a little uneasy so I gave up (the older I get the more I give up)...  I was thinking that maybe some of the big suction cups used to remove windshields might work on the metal roof, I guess the would support my weight.  Thoughts?  I can't wait to have a shop for the Newell...

Adrian, when I climb on the roof I always put the ladder on the side where the AH and gen exhaust pipe come through the roof.  It give me something to hold on to.  Works out really well.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

and those telescoping ladders can really scratch the side of the coach if you are not careful

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I just read in FMCA's magazine about a guy who suffered broken bones while using a telescoping ladder to climb up on his roof. He did allow that it was old, dirty and maybe a bit worn. My '93 has the foot holds up the side. If I need to use a ladder I use my folding ladder and go up the back. There is an air inlet across the back that provides a hand hold.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I don't use telescoping ladders.  I don't even own one.  I only climb on top of my Newell when I am at home and the coach is in garage.  I use an extension ladder that will extend several feet above the height of the coach.  I tape foam rubber where it touches the top for protection of the paint.  I don't have to get on top very often and that is a good thing at my age. I have a 10 foot step ladder which I use to clean and polish the top of my slides, other than that I try to stay off ladders.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot