You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Do Newell's leak?

I have been looking at used Newell's for sometime. In January on my 2009 Foretravel, I discovered a roof leak, cracked around an awning mount, but not before I had alot of water in the coach. It is going to be an expensive fix. Thinking about fixing it and selling it. So the question is how solid are the roofs, end caps and side walls of the Newells? Has any one had to fix leaks? If so, where were they located? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you,

Roy Dameron

It is hard to put a rating on how solid they are. Generally the sidewalls and roof are aluminum which is riveted or 3M bonded together. The caps appear to be a fiberglass or other type of a composite material...quite thick.
What is the material that cracked on your foretravel?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(05-03-2016, 06:00 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  It is hard to put a rating on how solid they are. Generally the sidewalls and roof are aluminum which is riveted or 3M bonded together. The caps appear to be a fiberglass or other type of a composite material...quite thick.
What is the material that cracked on your foretravel?

The fiberglass on the roof cracked letting water in and causing some delam in a sidewall. The problem is this is the second fiberglass crack on the roof. I wonder why. What are Newell's roofs made of ?

Roy Dameron
2009 42ft Foretravel Nimbus. 3 slide

Aluminum.. Riveted to the inner frame.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

My 1982 Newell has never had a roof leak....NEVER....no leaks anywhere.....EVER.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Roof is aluminum, and if the rivets and other penetrations are looked after on a yearly basis, you shouldn't have a problem. In nine years of following the Newell forum, I don't recall one post concerning a roof leak. There is a seam between the aluminum roof and the fiberglass front and rear caps that requires normal monitoring.

My experience has been the most likely leak sources are the window penetrations. Not too bad of a job to fix unless they are the newer flush mount windows.

There have been a few reported leaks where the mirrors attach to the body.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We had FTs and they are fine coaches but you explained the very reason we sold ours and later bought a BlueBird and then a Newell. ANY coach can leak if not looked after (or structural damage of some sort). Our coach had some leaking around the Windows but mostly from condensation and not rain. The slides are another story - they are a blessing/curse. If there is anything under the seal they leak, if the coach is not leaned over during a storm, they leak. We are adding an awning over the main slide and will let all know how it is doing - this should stop the leaky slides... Don't get me wrong, I liked our FT but I loved our Wanderlodge and I love our Newell even more!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I'm cleaning up my roof in anticipation of solar panel installation. There are some rivets that appear to be loosened from travel flex and walking on the roof. Many have been dabbed with silicone (Chester, if you're listening, I'd love to hear whether this was remedy or prevention.) And I've found a couple of rivets around the coach that clearly need to be replaced. Happy to report that this coach does not show any signs of panel shift between the slides.

What is the method of replacement? Are these blind "pop" rivets or bucked the old fashioned way at the factory? Buy from Newell or elsewhere?

Thanks!

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Byler rivet supply. Google them. I don’t use silicone on RV roof. I use Dicor sealant. I would be cautious about replacing rivets unless they are very loose. Clean around them apply a no silicone sealer and check them- especially if the coach has been “torqued”.

For what it is worth, Newell’s roof is one piece from cap to cap.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567