You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1984 Newell 40' For Sale

We've decided to sell our Newell with a heavy heart.  Our work lives are so busy we have come to the conclusion that for now it probably makes most sense to sell this big part of our lives and step back.  However, we plan to step forward again someday closer to our retirement years into a newer Newell coach.  I have a list a mile long of things we have done and had done to this coach and I can honestly say that I just don't think there is anything left to do.  I have posted some pics here, but have many more.  
$32,500
Features:
  • Engine: Detroit Diesel  8V92 with turbo charger
  • Length: 40 feet
  • 12.5 KW Generator with 2,090 hours
  • Every window has Zip Dee awnings that are in excellent shape
  • Sleeps 2-4 (maybe 6 if 4 are kiddos)
  • All 8D (4) batteries replaced within last 2 years
  • Air leveling system
  • 3 basement central air conditioners (services when I bought it and they run and cool really well)
  • Central Vacuum
  • Polished (thanks Tom & Clarke) Alcoa wheels
  • Refrigerator, stove, ice maker and convection oven microwave (all work just great).
  • Outside a gas grill mounts to the side of coach and there is a slide out freezer/refrigerator 
  • Main fuel tank stretches from one side of the coach to the other.  The auxiliary fuel tank is half that size.  I think the fuel capacity is well over 300 gallons.
  • Xantrex Xpower Inverter 3000
  • Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series Inteli-Power converter
Upgrades/Repairs since 2012:
  • Rebuilt Engine in 2012 with 117,451  at a cost of $26,371.84
    • I have the engine serviced every year regardless of use by the Detroit Diesel dealer who has cared for it since I have owned it including the rebuild.  All the records are detailed and you are welcome to speak with the dealer.  In fact I encourage you to.
  • Engine bay was completely cleaned during the rebuild and all new insulation was installed ( the expensive stuff)
  • I put on brand new Goodyear tires the day I picked up the coach from the previous owner.  They have about 9,300 miles on them now and are date coded 2012
  • Upgraded backup camera, new color monitor and side cameras
  • All batteries have been replaced in last 2 years
  • New Cruise King cruise control in 2012
  • Added Main Awning (Zip Dee)
  • Added Digipanel (engine, transmission temperature monitor)
  • All windows have had slide seals replaced so windows slide like they're new.
  • Added Winegard satellite
  • Added new Kwikee step
  • Water Bay was completely rebuilt in 2014 and is now finished off with chrome plating and sealed.  The water heater was replaced at the same time.
  • Interior:
    • All walls were painted
    • Entire new bamboo floor
    • New drapes (blackout backing), blinds and valances
    • Brand new mattress (2015)
    • New electric heaters in coach
    • All interior lights converted to LED including dimmers in front and back bedroom
    • New stereo
    • New TV monitors and DVD in main and bedroom.  They are programmed together so you can watch DVD or Satellite on either TV
    • All new booth (makes into a bed) and captain’s chairs
    • Original couch has been recovered in the same matching materials as the new furniture.  This is the original jackknife couch that folds out to make a bed
    • Kitchen faucet is all new
    • Bathroom:
      • Updated sink faucet
      • New toilet (2015 never been used!)
      • New tile floor
    • Shower
      • New LED lighting and all new plumbing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Impressive Todd. You have done a great job on your 1984. Sorry to see you selling her but I wish you the best of luck.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Nice, love the coach but in in the middle of a update with mine or I would be calling you.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have loved working on this coach to get it to this state and frankly would not have been able to without the support and encouragement of a great number of Newell Gurus over the years.

I would love to see that coach when you are done. Eastern Iowa is not too far from where I am. I hope the gurus continue to stop in Sioux Falls on their travels through here. We plan to stay connected and be back in the market in another 10 years I would imagine. Life's got to slow down eventually right???

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

I would like to talk with you about your Newell if it's still available.
[email protected]    727-303-4838
Mike

Mike it sold today I am sorry. In fact I was on a 120 mile drive and learn with the new owner today when Rick called and told me about you. Crazy thing is that for the next 9 months the coach will be 30 miles away from Rick until these folks retire next spring and then begin fulltiming. They are a couple from California who will soon join the forum and introduce themselves. This evening we went to dinner and I told the new owner that he will be approached by people interested in the coach because people love the lines of the classics. I had no sooner parked at his camping spot than an older gentleman came over to compliment him on the coach and tell him how Newell was one of the finest coaches there are. Turns out this guy (I think) runs a national company called RV Driving School.

I can't Thank all of you enough. A friend once remarked to me after listening to many stories of helpful advice from you all culminating in St. Everton's transmission last year "that's not a website....that's a brotherhood!" We have learned a great deal not only about coaches but also about relationships. We have made some great friends during our travels and travails. With support and advice from many of you we ended up with a great coach, but simply do not have the time to enjoy it now. So it's off to a new home and very regular use.

We will be owners again later in life, but for now we will simply be the former coach owners and still on the site reading and learning. Please feel free to stop in if you are ever in our area. You can ask everyone who has and they will tell you this is a great town. Except in the winter. Don't come here then.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Congratulations on the sale Todd. Do continue to read and post to the site. You gained a lot of valuable experience during your ownership so you have much to continue to share.

Take care and hopefully we will see you again down the road one of these days in the future.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Congrats Todd, please do make sure the new owners get on the forum.

we are anxious to meet them

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(06-10-2016, 07:42 AM)MikeCongratulations. I\m sorry to have come along so late in my search. I'm still looking so if anyone has or knows of a similar coach drop me a [email protected]   727-303-4838Mike Wrote:  
(06-09-2016, 08:59 PM)Flick Wrote:  Mike it sold today I am sorry. In fact I was on a 120 mile drive and learn with the new owner today when Rick called and told me about you. Crazy thing is that for the next 9 months the coach will be 30 miles away from Rick until these folks retire next spring and then begin fulltiming. They are a couple from California who will soon join the forum and introduce themselves. This evening we went to dinner and I told the new owner that he will be approached by people interested in the coach because people love the lines of the classics. I had no sooner parked at his camping spot than an older gentleman came over to compliment him on the coach and tell him how Newell was one of the finest coaches there are. Turns out this guy (I think) runs a national company called RV Driving School.

I can't Thank all of you enough. A friend once remarked to me after listening to many stories of helpful advice from you all culminating in St. Everton's transmission last year "that's not a website....that's a brotherhood!"  We have learned a great deal not only about coaches but also about relationships. We have made some great friends during our travels and travails. With support and advice from many of you we ended up with a great coach, but simply do not have the time to enjoy it now. So it's off to a new home and very regular use.

We will be owners again later in life, but for now we will simply be the former coach owners and still on the site reading and learning. Please feel free to stop in if you are ever in our area. You can ask everyone who has and they will tell you this is a great town. Except in the winter. Don't come here then.

I am the new proud owner of Todd's coach. It is an awesome machine. He has done a fantastic job on this Newell. 1750 mile trip home, and zero problems over a lot of 6 % grades. I have no other rv experience except for a Winnebago Brave, and several bumper pull travel trailers. What a pleasure to go down the road with no squeaks and rattles. I am still adjusting to it's size, but I have gone from "what have I done now , to I think I can do this."
I look forward to meeting you fellow Newell owners. Todd did what he could with me ( a slow learner) in a 24 hr period, but I have a lot to learn .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59