You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

79 36 ft Project Newell. in Ohio

I have a 1979 Newell needing work.  It is a 36 ft with a new 6v92 w/747ht half installed.  The coach is straight and the interior is original so needs upgrade.  Engine needs to be taken back out and rear axle ratio changed to taller gearset.  Bus was built with a 555 Cummins.  I have invested nearly $40K but will sell for what I paid for the Engine/transmission which was rebuilt by gm and has zero miles.   $8500. for the engine and the rest goes for free.  Generator runs fine, has driver entry door. Everything was working when the engine went out on Rt44 in Missouri.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have had no serious interest in my 79, so I will be putting it up for auction. Someone will probably pick it up for the engine and generator and scrap the bus. I have no alternative. Sad to see it go this way but all good things must come to an end, I guess. Pete

Changed my mind. Pulled Bus from auction. Can't stand the thought of a solid Newell being parted out or scrapped for the new engine. I am planning to build a new building here in Florida and will have bus towed here and "get er done" !

Rooster: I appreciate your decision. The 77 coach I had was given the engine transplant your's is in the midst of and it worked out great. It was geared for about 2000rpm at just over 60mph (if I recall correctly, but it was geared to keep revs up). Got 8.5mpg, boy I miss that. And the sound with the Jake on was to die for, the hills of Tennesee were alive with the sound of the music of Jake.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon

Do you recall what rear ratio you ended up with. I am thinking like a 3:55, but really not sure. Pete

Pete, I don't recall. You can calculate it by looking up the revolutions per mile by the tire manufacturer, since60mph=1 mile/minute, my transmission is 1:1 in 4th so by choosing the engine rpm you want you can determine the ratio. For instance an 11R22.5 tire rotates about 500 times a mile. So, at 60mph, or 1 mile per minute, the tire will rotate at 500rpm. If the engine is turning 2000rpm, with 1:1 transmission gearing, then the differential ratio would be 4:1. With the same tires and speed and an engine rpm of 1500 the gear ratio would be 3:1. For your proposed 3.55 ratio, at 60mph the engine would be turning 1775rpm.

Hope this helps.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks Jon. That is about what I thought. I have a 3:55 in my 1988 40 ft. It is a 8V92. The 36 ft with the 6V92 should be fine with the 3:55