You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide outs New problem!

(10-23-2012, 01:15 PM)RussWhite Wrote:  Les,

Has anyone mentioned "All Newells are different" - Ha!

If your problem is basically the same as mine, and I think it may be, it won't be a loose wire. What is happening is the voltage from the HWH slideout controller is just too low to energize the contactor. In my case it was just on the border and if I ran the engine/alternator it worked fine - until the day the alternator quit.

As you will see from the pictures I am posting, you have two contactors where I have only one. Just to be sure why don't you follow the big red wire that is going down and be sure it goes to the hydraulic pump - I think it will. Now, for some reason I do not know, you have two and I have one. Either the designer felt one was not enough to carry the load and just paralleled another ( you can easily see the swithced wires are in parallel ). Or, it was easier to run the pump from two different control systems and each system just got its own contactor. I cannot tell from the pictures, but if the coils are in parallel it is the former, if not, two sources of control.

In my picture you will see the little black cube which is the relay I put in that is easily picked up with the low voltage from the controller, and then switches full voltage to the coil of the contactor and my pump takes off - even with the engine off now like it should.

The two small wires on each of your contactors are the coil of that contactor. If you use a voltmeter and measure the voltage of each coil while the button inside is pushed requesting motion you will have a good idea if you problem is low coil volts like mine was. My voltage was in the 6.X range - just not enough to energize the contactor and get the pump going. Russ

Russ,
haha, they all not like for sure!

Les,

Has anyone mentioned "All Newells are different" - Ha!

If your problem is basically the same as mine, and I think it may be, it won't be a loose wire. What is happening is the voltage from the HWH slideout controller is just too low to energize the contactor. In my case it was just on the border and if I ran the engine/alternator it worked fine - until the day the alternator quit.

As you will see from the pictures I am posting, you have two contactors where I have only one. Just to be sure why don't you follow the big red wire that is going down and be sure it goes to the hydraulic pump - I think it will. Now, for some reason I do not know, you have two and I have one. Either the designer felt one was not enough to carry the load and just paralleled another ( you can easily see the swithced wires are in parallel ). Or, it was easier to run the pump from two different control systems and each system just got its own contactor. I cannot tell from the pictures, but if the coils are in parallel it is the former, if not, two sources of control.

In my picture you will see the little black cube which is the relay I put in that is easily picked up with the low voltage from the controller, and then switches full voltage to the coil of the contactor and my pump takes off - even with the engine off now like it should.

The two small wires on each of your contactors are the coil of that contactor. If you use a voltmeter and measure the voltage of each coil while the button inside is pushed requesting motion you will have a good idea if you problem is low coil volts like mine was. My voltage was in the 6.X range - just not enough to energize the contactor and get the pump going. Russ
[/quote]

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Messages In This Thread
Slide outs New problem! - by les korcala - 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by rheavn - 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by les korcala - 10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by RussWhite - 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by les korcala - 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by RussWhite - 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
RE: Slide outs New problem! - by les korcala - 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM