You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1985 soon to be owner

So my wife and I are getting ready to buy a 1985 Newell.  It looks to be in great condition with the exception of needing a new front windshield and gasket.  Has new tires and batteries and appears to in great shape.  So my question is there anything to pay attention to or any issues with the 1985s?  What can one expect to pay for a good condition 1985, I have seen them all over the place for price.

Vin 1N9912386F1011007

Thank you in advance

Jason

Jason,

usually, the biggest expense of things that are easy to see are the batteries and tires. (other than damage to things).

the engine, transmission and generator are the things that are unseen.

one of our gurus bought an 84 and drove it home from texas to south dakota only to find out the engine needed rebuilding. a very large expense.

a very simple thing is to draw samples of the engine oil, transmission fluid, genny oil, and you can even do the coolant for the engine and genny. you use sample kits you buy from a fluid analysis lab. each kit will cost in the 20-30 dollars and that includes the analysis report. i do it periodically on my series 60 engine for oil and genny oil.

i use the local catepillar lab. it is a precaution, but could save you a real headache.

it is just a suggestion and many have bought without doing it with no issues. but i can tell you that todd would have been glad to spend a few hundred bucks up front rather than $25k afterwards for a rebuilt motor.

the other things are to just make sure things work as they should, look for water leaks, drive it to be sure it drives nice, operate the generator and make sure it works, and just look it over carefully.

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

In case you haven't seen it, here is a link referencing that coach in 2005. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/foru...233&page=4

In any older coach, budget for replacement/repairs of things you didn't see or things that quit working soon after purchase. If the coach has not been used much in years, budget more as many items deteriorate as fast or faster in a coach that isn't being used.

Tom has provided a good list of things to watch out for.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

An 85 probably has a 2-stroke Detroit engine. If you pull one or two air box covers on the side of the block it is possible to check the rings and cylinders. The best check is fluids analysis unless someone just changed them all, which for me would be a red flag.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed