You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hydraulic cooling fan

Just a question, does the engine cooling fan run all the time ?       The reason I ask is because I never paid it much attention until last weekend while on a trip, stopped at a rest area doing a walk around I noticed it was not running, I raised the rear cover and un plugged the relay and it came on (high speed) when I re connected it it quit. The water temp was @190 at the time. After setting there for a few minutes on high idle the fan came on (high) then when the temp went down it stopped.  Just wanting to know, it seems to me it should run all the time to cool the air to air cooler.   Thanks,  Ken    1998 coach 430

I meant coach 473..duh sorry

mine does stop sometimes as well and i had the same question.

be interested to hear what others say

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I re-read ken's post and think he should call factory. The way I understood these fans is that they default to high but can run at low speed if the sensors are cool enough. (Have no reason to believe that off could be an option as well).

What Ken said that it came on and ran at "high" for a while and then cut off. That does not sound right to me. I would expect it to start at high then low then (possibly) off.

Can anyone verify if the fans are supposed to have two speeds?

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

What Ken described is how mine behaves.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not sure on the newells but on my Peterbilt's that have this type fan that is how they work when you unplug the relay it is in manual mode and will run on high ..... when plugin it runs off the temp sensor ..... that being said I would call and check with newell, if it gets too hot that is very expensive if you crack a head

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659

I spoke with Cressley today he said some run at slow speed until hot(over204) and some do not, as long as it kicks on when the solenoid is unplugged all is well. As still not 100% sure, I do not remember ever noticing it running or not until last weekend, but it seems to me it would need some air flow over the charge air cooler when in operation ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.