You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Early History

1934: Wally Byam begins using the name "Airstream" for his travel trailers, closes operations due to WWII and goes to work in the aircraft industry
1946: Byam hired by Curtis Wright Industries to design the "Curtis Wright Clipper" travel trailer.
1948: Byam leaves Curtis Wright Industries and reopens Airstream
1949: Pat Patterson and 2 other investors purchase the rights to "Curtis Wright Clipper" and form the Silver Streak Trailer Company
1957: Patterson founds Streamline Trailer Co.
1964-1967: Streamline Trailer Co, of El Monte, California, manufactures aluminum motorhomes under the name Streamline Travel Car Lodge and later Streamline Travel Homes. These were 25' and 30' designated length (excluding bumpers), mostly 30' and most used Ford gasoline engines. They built 84 or 85 motorhomes between 1964 and 1967.

L.K. Newell purchased a 19666 Streamline Travel Home with an aluminum body on a one-ton Ford front engine gasoline powered chassis and in less than 2 weeks, returned to the factory to have corrections made. He shared his suggestions for product improvements with Streamline's owner who responded "If you are so damned smart, why don't you buy the motorhome operation from me?"

Within hours of that comment, Mr. Newell bought Streamline Travel Homes and moved the motrohome operation to Miami, OK (pronounced MY-am-uh). The first few coaches built in Miami carried the Streamline Travel Home name.

In 1967 he started using the Newell name on the motorhomes.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

So what has happened since 1967? (hint, hint)

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

David, thanks for the question. I have added several new threads to discuss some of the other changes through the years.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com