You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

windshield shade

We experienced a potentially very dangerous situation driving our 2004 Newell. The bolt holding the passenger side of the shade support bracket worked loose allowing the shade to partially disengage from the driver (shade motor) side of the shade leaving the wires supporting the roller portion of the shade. This allowed the shade to suddenly drop completely blocking all forward vision. Fortunately we were driving on a straight stretch of 4 lane highway. I was able to look out the side window and see the yellow center lines and safely get the coach stopped in the middle of the road. Other cars behind us managed to avoid a collision in spite of my sudden stop. My wife was able to get unbuckled and lift the shade to get the coach and tow car safely to the shoulder. The shade was held by a single small bolt without a locking nut. My fix was to install 2 bolts with locking nuts. I check them regularly. I would recommend everyone with this type of shade install locking nuts.

J&J

JandJ

Thanks Jerry for the safety alert

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I feel your pain. That happened to me as I was leaving camp Magown a couple years ago. It will certainly get your attention. Fortunately mine only dropped halfway so I was able to see the road by looking under it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337