You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6cyl, 8cyl, tag or single axle, 6 speed or 4 speed?

OK, I'll take a swing at this so the engineers on the board can fill in the gaps in my knowledge!!!!
First... 8=number of cylinders
V= the cylinder configuration
92 = the cubic inches of each cylinder.
The 6v92 and the 8v92 are similar with the exception being either 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder. They are all 2 stroke engines with a supercharger mounted in the V part of the engine. Some were turbocharged as well. I believe these engines were referred to as 8v92T or 6v92T. I have never heard of a 8v60. The reference may be to a DD series 60 which superseded the v92 series in the 1990's. It is an inline 6 cylinder of a completely different configuration.
All Newells of this vintage that I have seen use an Allison transmission. Generally these are very durable and will last many miles with proper maintenance. All are 1:1 ratio in high gear so once you are up to speed there would be no difference in operation. My 1978 Newell had a 5 speed Allison. It worked well but was a little harsh on downshifts.
Tag axles were added to accommodate the longer coaches as they added more options that added weight.
Tag axles are added complexity, take away from under floor storage and limit turning radius. However they add stability to the coach on the highway as well as allow for more GVW.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Messages In This Thread