You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6cyl, 8cyl, tag or single axle, 6 speed or 4 speed?

(06-16-2016, 09:33 AM)Mike Wrote:  Thanks for the information and quelling my concerns about the transmissions.

On the engines I follow you all the way to the 6o series. I'm sure what I have been hearing is the DD 60 series but it had been referred to as 8V60. Which ever is the proper nomenclature I'm concerned if I should rather have one than the other.

I assume that the 60 series is a better/newer/more advanced and more powerful engine but should I make that an important function in my decision of one coach over the other?

I would imagine that both the 92 series and the 60 series are more than adequate for the job of moving a Newell down the road. However, the difference in 6 or 8 cylinders and 2 or 4 stroke must mean something, if nothing more than fuel consumption. How about failure, parts, cost to overhaul, noise, power, fuel consumption and many other considerations I'm not aware of?

I don't want to favor a newer and therefore more expensive coach over a perfectly adequate one that is older and has a two stroke unless there is a real reason to do so.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Mike, there is no such thing as an 8V60. The two-stroke Detroit Diesels used in motorhomes were the 6V92 and the 8V92. In other uses (military, off road equipment, etc there were 8V53, 8V71 8V92, 8V149. The Series 60 is an inline 6 and is a four stroke. It was not introduced during the time period you are referring to and they are WAY to tall to put in a Newell Classic. If you have a choice, the Series 60 is a great engine with many more mechanics that know how to work on it BUT #364, a 1994 is the first Newell I am aware of with the Series 60 and Newell actually changed the floorplan to accommodate the taller engine and moved the radiator from the rear to the side. The Series 60 does get better fuel mileage but if you want a Series 60, you need to be looking at late 1994 or more recent Newells. #376, a 1995, was the last Newell I am aware of with an 8V92. Coaches with the Series 60 demand a noticeable premium over the 8V92 in addition to being newer coaches.  #385, a 1995, was the last Newell I am aware of with a Series 60 AND an Allison HT740 four speed transmission. After that Newell put only the 6 speed Allison in coaches with the Detroit Series 60.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Messages In This Thread