You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front A/C freezing up

Both at the rally and here in Elephant Butte my front A/C freezes up frequently.  This is with both compressors running on high.  Any idea what is causing this and what can I do about it.?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Assuming you have basement airs like mine....I would first check the filters. If they are not clean, it will restrict airflow causing a freeze up.
Next, check the outside fins and make sure there is plenty of airflow through the fins. (I found some compressor cleaner at Home Depot that you simply spray on and it cleans out the debris as it drips out). Also, I had some fins which were bent and not allowing air flow.

Finally, and this is a real long shot....Do you have anything blocking the vents? There are vents at base of the windshield which could be obstructed. Same goes for the flexible tubing that carries the air from the basement units to the front salon. Are the flexible tubes crushed or kinked?

Anything more than these obvious things will require a "real" guru.

Good luck!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

after checking all those things, it is likely low on freon. mine did it 2 or 3 times on this trip as well. next winter it will be time to put in service ports

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What Tom said.

If you want to know which of the two compressors is low, then open the hatch where the circuit board resides. Put an ammeter on one of the leads going to each compressor. If it's not pulling 12 amps or more in hot conditions then you are likely low.

When the charge is low, the temperature of the evaporator coil actually falls below 32 degrees. Blow humid air across a piece of metal less than 32 degrees and there ya go.

Tom is also right in that the SCS units came from the factory sealed with no service ports. Unless it's been worked on and ports added, you can't check the charge with gauges.

If it ices, turn the unit to fan only to melt the ice as rapidly as possible.

The biggest source of water inside the coach is the shower. Use exhaust fan when showering and wipe it down good after to reduce the water in the air. Every little bit helps when it's hot.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I cleaned the filters this morning and will see if the problem continues before proceeding with the other tests. Thanks for the advise.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Cleaned filter did not do the job. On to plan B.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey