You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

generators

1984 coach. Diesel generator shuts down after 30  minutes of use repeatedly. No heat issue, all fuel tanks 1/2 full. Oil level is ok.

Those of you who know Todd, this was his coach, and everything has been serviced.

Perhaps this other issue has something to do with the early shut down  Takes 5 to 10 tries on initial start up before it will keep running

I'm thinking some kind of fuel starvation?

I am in no particular rush to solve this. Is is to hot here to be working on the coach !

I was not able to place this in the proper place which should be Technical Discussions/ Generators. If anyone can move this,I would appreciate it

Thank you,

Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Hard starting could be a fuel pump issue. Does it stumble and quit or suddenly quit?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-26-2016, 03:43 PM)Richard Wrote:  Hard starting could be a fuel pump issue.  Does it stumble and quit or suddenly quit?

Pleasure meeting you Richard. Todd included some drawings of various systems of the coach. I think that you were the  person kind enough to provide them?

The generator does not stumble, it just quits. It will not restart. Not needing to use the unit, I just wait a day, and it starts up reluctantly after a few tries, and then shuts down after approx 30 minutes. I quess I should test the pump for pressure?

Thanks, Guy

Make sure the wire connections on the fuel pump are tight. Mine did something similar while driving and one of the wires was loose, tightened it by squeezing with pliers and it worked great.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(06-26-2016, 04:30 PM)folivier Wrote:  Make sure the wire connections on the fuel pump are tight.  Mine did something similar while driving and one of the wires was loose, tightened it by squeezing with pliers and it worked great.

Ok, I am green as grass. Now I know that I need to be looking for an electric pump, not a mechanical, unit. Would I find it in the generator compartment?

BTW, are you familiar with  Todd's coach? This genset is  pneumatically "propelled " out the front. Sure glad Todd spent a lot of time with me. I never would  have found that button.

my genset on my 2002 at first would die and then go again. ended up being the checkvalve in the electric fuelpump. replaced the fuel pump and all was good. not saying that is what is wrong with yours, but just an experience i had.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We had a diode go bad on ours. It was on the power side for the fuel solenoid. It was an intermittent failure thing until it finally quit. I thought it was just a connector, but the tech in Phoenix explained it was a diode.

To find the fuel pump look on the passenger side of the generator engine

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Guy,

The other component that you should be looking for is the fuel shut off solenoid. On the passenger side of the generator engine, you will see two or three wires going into 1 1/4 diameter solenoid. On the other end of that solenoid will be an adjustable linkage connected to an arm on the fuel delivering system. That solenoid has to open and pull the fuel shut off arm to allow the engine to run. Diesel engines do not operate as the gas engines we are used to. To stop them we shut off the fuel flow because there is no spark to shut off.

Anyway the point is that if for any reason that solenoid loses power, the engine will stop immediately. It could lose power if the supply leads have a loose connection, or it could lose power because the control systems for the generator intentionally interrupt the power to protect the engine due to low oil pressure or high temperature.

Slide the generator out, and have an accomplice attempt a start while you watch the operation of the fuel solenoid. If it pulls back completely but the engine does not start quickly, I would guess you have a fuel pump issue. If the solenoid drags while opening the fuel shutoff lever, you may have a solenoid issue. Check the wiring. Remove the solenoid, then remove the plunger from the solenoid. Clean it up with WD 40 or magic juju juice of your choice. Sometimes they just get gunked up.

To test the solenoid possibility, hold it open by hand (screwdriver) while attempting to start.

I'll try to get a pic of the solenoid today and post it for you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You may also find that you could have debris in your fuel tank, and it get sucked up against the fuel line then after shutdown it settles back into tank ... had it happen on our older newell or it could simply be water in the fuel

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659