You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AC Puzzled

AC FIXED RUNS GREAT:
Thanks guys for all the leads and especially Richard for reminding me that I mentioned that the problem was not there before newell worked on it which led me to find a way to isolate the compressor and fan. But first I did a google search on symptoms of a bad capacitor which started me thing as it mentioned it could cause over heating. If interested click on link.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/84931-t...capacitors

I pulled the wire to the compressor off the "new" capacitor.
Well the fan ran and never got hot, stayed around 75 degrees, would get to 135 to 155. So having the old capacitor, which the tech at newell said "you might as well keep it it's yours" Glad I did. I wired the old capacitor in place and the unit now works fine. Motor now runs around 95 degrees and the temp on the coil went from 100 down to 90, so maybe the fan speed was affected. 

Seems you can also check the capacitor by doing an ohms test. Read the article.
The unit runs great even sitting only a few inches off the table surface which it is sitting to be worked on so might even run cooler once reinstalled.
One other minor problem I noticed separate from this was my charging valves has no caps on them and i noticed tiny bubbles on the lower valve. I have a valve wrench and was able to turn about one quarter turn and no more bubbles but now need to find sone screw on covers. 

Again thanks for everyones' help and hopefully this will help someone later on.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Michael in re-reading your post you had suggested the possibility of a bad capacitor and you were correct.
So much stuff to read through and stuff mentioned that initially don't make sense that finally after much pondering and doing,
makes sense.

Thanks again This forum is a tremendous help.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Woo hoo!

Just out of curiosity were the caps the same rating in MFDs

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

They were very close. The new one was round and the old was oblong. The new one checked out bad with ohm check. Perhaps when the tech wired the new unit backwards it did something. So being told the capacitors either work or they don't is not necessarily correct. They can still work in a faulty mode causing a problem, in this case overheating the fan motor. Perhaps I should email my findings to Newell....
I am quite relieved knowing I don't have to pull the unit apart and have the motor rebuilt at what expense! Now just need to find 2 shrader valve covers to put over the valves before I put the unit back in the bay. Somehow they were never replaced.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

There are two kinds of service tap caps (I recall); there are plastic one that keep the dirt out aND there are metal ones with a seal. I went with the metal ones. It makes no difference which ones you use unless the service valve leaks, then you benefit from spending the extra money on the metal ones.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

OH CRAP.
So the AC ran great with the old capacitor, the next day the fan ran great but the compressor would trip out so I started to learn more about MicroFarads. The numbers on the capacitor for example on my original is 20 + 5  The 20 related to the compressor and the 5 relates to the fan. Newell replaced the old with a new one with ratings of 25 + 7.5  the fan motor has a MFD (Microfarad) rating of 5. Note: uF is also a symbol that means MFD (Microfarad)

[attachment=3982]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

the post posted before I was done so this is the rest of the story. The oval capacitor is the original. I purchased a Microfarad meter that shows compressor on the oval capacitor to be 2 Microfarads low so it should be replaced but the fan side is fine.
The newer round capacitor checks out ok. I contacted a capacitor company and all I read online says to replace with same rating plus the ratings are also on the motors that are being controlled by the capacitor. But I can not see the info on the new compressor but figure it is probably the same as the old. Which is 20+5 MFD. I can not find a capacitor wit that exact spec. Does anyone know weather or not the new capacitor should work as it has higher ratings 25+7.5. So now I am playing with pulling the power (black wire) off the compressor and let the unit start, after the fan starts I touch the wire to the compressor to start when I hear it not starting but just humming I lift the wire before it breaks. Figuring I could perhaps jog the compressor motor to start which it did once but while trying to push the wire on the spade I shorted it out and blew the whole coach. So it is a possibility to jog it loose.
I might try to run it Jog it backwards to break it loose. The problem is what has caused the compressor to do what it is doing now. Being a new unit ?

Any help is appreciated. 

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Either look at the paperwork or call Newell to see what compressor they used. Then google that specific model and you can find the recommended mfd required. Do not try to run the compressor without a cap. If the compressor has a hard time starting then get an additional hard start cap. They provide a big boost and then cutout after the compressor is running.

When you said the compressor is tripping, what is tripping? The compressor thermal or the circuit breaker in the coach?

What amperage is the compressor pulling ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, the compressor trips the thermal at around 50 amps.
Is there a sizing for a hard start cap? How is it wired in?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Checked it out on amazon and have one ordered. I see it is quite easy to wire up. All reviews positive.
Seems like this would be something all ac units on coaches should have especially if questionable voltage/shore power is encountered.
Thanks Richard

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.