You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Various

Hello all and Happy Independence Day !!

Our new to us, 2000 Newell #551 is in need of some repairs.
Would appreciate some feedback and answers. Thanks in advance.

The previous owner did not have the key that locks the bay doors that open with a push latch. Any way to get a key or key code from Newell or is there an alternate way to do it ? I believe the same key would arm the alarm on the passenger side second door and open the small door on the upper left rear corner above the radiator (currently locked)...need to find a solution.

Anybody have experience with Apex AGM 8D batteries ?

Mid bath sink is pitted and discolored really bad- anyway to clean that gold or have to change it ?

Losing the bedroom slide seal as the air in the coach is depleted and the 110V compressor is not turned on. Is there a check valve that may be defective or the electrovalve is supposed to keep things inflated.....maybe the seal is leaking ?

More later...small bites....
Thank you

MG

Congratulations on your new coach.  I looked at buying that coach in 2009, but the seller had it overpriced for me.  That is one of my favorite paint designs.  Sounds like you got it for a good price.

My understanding is all the SouthCo latches use the same key.  Try Newell.  If you can't get one I'll make one & send it to you to try.  On my coach the security key is different.  On my coach the radiator fill tank is also a different key.

My 1/2 bath sink was in a similar condition as yours, but mine is stainless.  I did some wet sanding and polishing & it looks new.  Haven't worked with a brass sink, but I would investigate renewing it.

You have a leak in your 12V air system.  I also had an air leak in the bedroom slide seal and it ended up being the shut off valve for the bedroom slide seal which is located under the bed.  Review this thread explaining the 12V air system.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2674

Since you didn't mention the 12V air pump, I assume you don't run it & the whole system leaks down to zero.  That tells me your 12V air system has a leak.  Otherwise it wouldn't leak down below 60 psi as the 110V air system & the 12V air system are only joined when air pressure is above 60 psi.  A check valve would keep the 12V system at 60 psi if the system was air tight.  Therefore your 12V air pump will never run if your 110V air compressor keeps the air pressure above 60 psi.

If this is clear as mud feel free to ask any questions.....................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you. My inside storage with shore power is not available yet so i store it outside for now and shut off both battery banks. The 12v compressor is shot and i ordered a new one that will be here Thusday. 
I understand the logic of the air system. What I need to grasp better is why the front slide seal stays inflated with all gauges going to Zero but the bedroom one deflates.

Will have to get creative and get a key for the security system and radiator fill. Push come to shove will get a new switch for the the security system and maybe drill out and replace the fill door lock.

The check valve on the 110v compr is bad as well and got a new one coming . Right now the back pressure is too high and the compressor does not restart unless I remove the air line and reconnect it.....most likely the system leaks backwards through the compressor head as well. 

I sent an email to Russ White to get more info on the gen/aquahot exhaust repair since my Y pipe ( right before it goes up the stack) is collapsed. ...that will be fun to cut off and R&R

MG

Looks like the Southco C2 push latches may be keyed with a CH751 key....I have a couple of those...will try them tomorrow....maybe I get lucky with the other ones as well.

Another question ....Does anybody know how to drop down the bedroom moving upholstered panel that has the ceiling fan above the bed ? The fan is already removed already and we need to take that movable panel off to fix the ceiling mirror behind it and the track.
Thanks

MG

Welcome to the forum Marius. Congratulations on #551. You should have a fine coach after you get it the way you want it.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

WELCOME.   You are spot on with CH751 for the finger latches, the key for the paddle latch is CH745.  The cylinder lock for the coolant door (on my 567) is C415A, if you want a copy let me know and I'll make one.  I'm pretty sure the alarm key switch is made by Cole Hersee.  My key has IC047 stamped on it.  You can find Cole Hersee products on line if you desire changing, it is a simple on-off contact arrangement.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

When all the gauges go to zero, what does the front slide seal regulator gauge read?  What does the 12V air compressor regulator gauge read?

When I purchased my coach the 12V air pump did not work.  I replaced a burnt fuse with a 15A fuse.  It would still blow.  I hooked the 12V air compressor to a 12V power pack & it ran great.  I again replaced the fuse & has been running perfectly for 7 years.  I use the 12V air compressor when I store the coach or at night when I dry camp.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(07-05-2016, 05:12 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  WELCOME.   You are spot on with CH751 for the finger latches, the key for the paddle latch is CH745.  The cylinder lock for the coolant door (on my 567) is C415A, if you want a copy let me know and I'll make one.  I'm pretty sure the alarm key switch is made by Cole Hersee.  My key has IC047 stamped on it.  You can find Cole Hersee products on line if you desire changing, it is a simple on-off contact arrangement.

Thank you Gordon. Much appreciated.
Where do you have a paddle latch with CH745 ?
I appreciate the offer to make me a copy of the C415A - worth a try.

I have the lock missing entirely from the bay behind the passenger front wheel where the AC unit sits. Will have to get one hopefully keyed the same ...CH751. The Cole Hersee switch may be the same as yours, maybe we can try a copy of the IC047 ?
I will pay for the copies and shipping. I will PM my address and please let me know where to send the money.

Thank you again.

(07-05-2016, 06:00 AM)rheavn Wrote:  When all the gauges go to zero, what does the front slide seal regulator gauge read?  What does the 12V air compressor regulator gauge read?

When I purchased my coach the 12V air pump did not work.  I replaced a burnt fuse with a 15A fuse.  It would still blow.  I hooked the 12V air compressor to a 12V power pack & it ran great.  I again replaced the fuse & has been running perfectly for 7 years.  I use the 12V air compressor when I store the coach or at night when I dry camp.

When all gauges go to Zero, they go to Zero....... Front slide regulator is Zero, 12V compressor gauge is Zero, rear slide Zero, brake dash is Zero, Supply dash Zero.....but I have air in the front slide seal...but in the rear slide seal.....no air of course for doors, toilets etc.

MG
Photo 

(07-04-2016, 10:25 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Welcome to the forum Marius. Congratulations on #551. You should have a fine coach after you get it the way you want it.

Appreciate it Michael.

MG

I wanted to make sure all gauges meant all gauges--some times people give incorrect or incomplete info.  The only way all gauges can read zero, have no air in the 3 gallon air tank in the RR wheelwell is if a check valve has been installed AFTER your front slide seal regulator.  My coach is not built that way.  If my RR wheelwell tank goes to zero pressure both of my slide seals deflate.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531