You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Building Newell Garage questions

We are looking to buy a home here in Huntsville, AL and have found one we like.  The problem for building a garage for the coach is that there is a slope where I would like to put the coach.  I know we would have to grade up (moving lots of dirt in).  In order to support the weight of the coach on a slab how much extra work it that going to take or is it the same as building up for a house slab?  I am intending to pour a concrete slab...  Any experience with this?  Should we steer clear and find a flatter lot?  We love this home but the coach has to be able to be part of it... I might add that the existing garage (next to where the slab will be) is raised about 6 foot at the rear for the slope...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Give me a call. I will pm you my number

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I built a pole barn but at that time I did not have a Newell. Built mine 24' x 48' with a 12'x13' door. I have modified the door height since to accommodate my Newell, but Have to make sure I lower the coach before I drive it inside. If you are building a single garage it will be nice to make it at least 50' long, width at least 15' with 13' x 14' door minimum. It will be nice to be able to put the slides out and also get on the roof of the coach without putting too much strain on your back. A poured floor of 5" with some reinforcement would be sufficient with a 50 amp power. Building such a garage on a site that is level is best. But money no object, one can build it properly on a not so level site as well.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

My dad has a sloped lot that he built a 75' x 50' Morton Building garage. was only a few thousand dollars to reshape the contour to allow drive thru parking. He had all the dirt he needed on site - didn't have to haul any in. Today it is just as it was when built over 10 years ago.

I think it looks better with mine in side tho . . . .

So, if everything else is to your liking, get a building quote before making the final decision.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

my 2 doors are 14' wide and 15' high.

i believe 50 foot long is really not long enough. chappell has a 50' deep one and he has said he wished it was a little deeper.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would think you'd want it long enough to open the engine hatch and run out the generator + have room to walk around/work on either end. So yeah 50' isn't quite enough.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I made mine 60'. Its about right for me.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I've had garages of 50' and 60'. My garage is 15' wide. I like the extra space but would like if it were even wider, because with slides out its tight. My ceiling is high in the new garage, about 20 ft in the middle which allows me to stand up on roof. But I made mistake of installing three ceiling fans BEFORE I brought my coach in that are in the way if I get on the roof. The first time running into one was a hard lesson!

One thing I really wish I had was water and a drain in the floor, or built floor with some slope. My garage was made to be flat but it's not perfectly flat and water settles in the middle. I end up washing the coach a lot in the garage because it's always windy in Kansas or power washing floor and getting the water out of the garage is a pain.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I built mine as big as I could fit on my lot. I'm in a small city, on a corner lot in the down town historic district.

If I went longer than 45 ft, or wider than 22 ft, I wouldn't have been able to fit the coach past it.

Still working on a good idea for a door.

Bottom line - build as large as you can.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Mine is 50' long. I'm wishing it was 60'. The approach angle is very important to keep from dragging your hitch or bottom. Good luck!

Mike Moore
2005 Newell 734