You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Inverter

Regarding 1984 Newell serial # unkown..

I have an "inverter on" switch in the stairwell and in the bedroom, along with a pilot light.  When the genny is off, and no street power is available, when I turn  on the inverter switch, I hear the clunk of a solenoid, pilot light turns on, but have no 120 power in the receptacles. What is the inverter wired up to power as a default from the factory? ( I have not checked to see if it reacts differently with the genny on, or street power plugged in.)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

i would guess on that vintage of coach the inverter probably only has power to the AV gear (tv's etc), an outlet in the bathroom, and maybe the microwave (my 90 didnt have the microwave hooked till it and i modified it to do so) and maybe one in the kitchen. so...not many outlets. your 84 probably only has 2 coach batteries and they can get consummed pretty quickly with an inverter.

the inverters are not big enough to do much more.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(07-17-2016, 03:04 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i would guess on that vintage of coach the inverter probably only has power to the AV gear (tv's etc), an outlet in the bathroom, and maybe the microwave (my 90 didnt have the microwave hooked till it and i modified it to do so) and maybe one in the kitchen.   so...not many outlets.  your 84 probably only has 2 coach batteries and they can get consummed pretty quickly with an inverter.

the inverters are not big enough to do much more.  

tom

Yes, I have just to coach batteries and 1 chassis battery. Tom, what charger the batteries from shore power?

On my '87 , the clunking is relays (there are several) switching the supply to certain items-or-outlets from shore-or-generator to inverter.

I flipped that switch with the a/c on & the only thing that happened was the a/c stopped. After looking at the inverter manual online - I realized the inverter had been overloaded & had shut itself off. I reset it and haven't bothered with it since.

I really do need to investigate my inverter system to understand it so I can use it when I need it.

BTW, my coach has 2 8Ds for house & 2 8Ds for engine.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

On my 1982 the 2000 watt inverter provides power to all outlets. There is no clunk when I switch from shore power to the inverter. I have two 8d batteries for the house and two for the chassis. I know later coaches were set up for the inverter to power up just a few outlets.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(07-17-2016, 04:18 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  On my 1982 the 2000 watt inverter provides power to all outlets. There is no clunk when I switch from shore power to the inverter.  I have two 8d batteries for the house and two for the chassis. I know later coaches were set up for the inverter to power up just a few outlets.

I fat fingered that post Clarke.  2 house, 1 chassis battery. When it cools down a  bit, I will get my general manager, (Sue) to switch the inverter off and  on while I locate the clunk.

you either have an inverter/charger or a inverter and converter/charger. commonly called battery boilers.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My 1992 came with a small inverter and a separate battery charger (battery boiler). The inverter had the same two switches and activated relays that drove only one outlet in the bath, one in the kitchen plus the microwave, one in the bedroom for the TV and one in the overhead that operated the TV. I replaced the original Heart inverter with a ProSine 2000 watt with a built-in charger. I left the separate battery charger in the power cord bay and just unplugged it at the recommendation of Newell. Seems that if the batteries drain down too far, the inverter/charger will not kick in. If that happens, I can still plug in the old school battery charger in the bay and let it bring the batteries up to the level that the inverter/charger can take over.

If your coach has large relay cans near the 120 breaker panel, you have only certain outlets run off the inverter and the switches are controlling those relays.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

No intention of high jacking the thread, but have a related question:
It seems like on my 2008 all the outlets in the kitchen including microwave/convection oven, and stove top burners are wired through the inverter. Is there a way to switch some not to run through the inverter when plugged into 50 amp shore power? Apparently, yesterday we had too many things (stove top, microwave, TV,...) and caused both of my inverters to turn off.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

Hey Guy, if you have a 2-stroke diesel it is likely you have 2 engine batteries and a single house battery. That is the way my 77 coach was set up. When cold, it takes a lot of juice to spin the engine fast enough to fire hence the two batteries.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed