You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter running all the time

Hope somebody has some trick for this to stop....

When I got the coach the Headhunter 110v pump was leaking inside, was not repairable so I got a new pump from Headhunter.

I installed it like the old one and it works ok for the first cycle after the switch is turned on.
After a faucet is turned on, the pump sees pressure drop, it restarts and about 10 sec later it briefly stops and restarts on and on and on again....cycling all the time.
Every time the main pump stops I can see a brief jolt into the 12V Aux pump ( starts for a second then shuts off) and will repeat every time the 110V pump stops and immediately restarts.

Naturally, I think leak in the system. Look everywhere, close each circuit to see if I get to stop...nothing. 

I then shut off the 110v pump and leave on just the Aux 12V pump that is in parallel in the system. This pump runs perfect. Builds up the pressure, stops, open a faucet starts fine, close the faucet, the pump runs a few seconds and shuts off. I wait it out thinking that maybe there is a slow leak and the 110V pump is more sensitive to pressure.....nothing.
The whole system is tight.

I go then and flip the 110V pump back on, starts, runs a few seconds, shuts off....I am happy...then open the outside faucet and the cycle starts again and it never stops....keeps cycling.

Took it out of the system several times, checked everything, primed it to full from the beginning, reprimed, fill both ends, never ran dry .....The only thing I can think of is that the plastic check valve they build into the Intake is not seating and allows the pump to read low tank pressure and makes it restart.....or the brand new pump is defective and the head pressure internal switch is bad....

Any thoughts ? It is driving me crazy.

MG

Mine would do that if I let the tank get too low then filled it. It seems there was air in the lines and would mess with the pressure switch in the headhunter. The pump can overheat and shut off doing this. Just unplug it to reset it.
The solution was to open all faucets for a few minutes to clear out the lines.
BTW I would fill the tank and use that rather than keep the city water hooked up.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I am not hooked to city water. The tank is full ( more than 3/4). It is running off the tank. I opened all the faucets and let any air go out several times. Still doing it. I checked the hose inlet thinking that maybe it draws air from there....not....that end is tight and I even put a plug on it to make sure.

I suspected the same thing, air in the system, but from where ???

If there is air, how come the 12v pump by itself runs fine, builds pressure in the system, starts and stops as it should with no issue ?

Puzzled....

I did notice that after a while the intake pump head that has a drain in the bottom will get warm, just like the water there is stagnant and recycles and warms up.....
I shut it off, let it rest and then the first time after I start it it runs and stops. As soon as I open a faucet, it restarts and cycles.....runs , stops for less than a second and stars again.......keeps doing it

MG

a couple of things. sounds like you have tried them but just to be sure.

1. i dont leave the 12v pump on when the headhunter is on. thats me though

2. sounds like it might be losing prime. at least on mine, i lose prime when i have played with the water system. i have to turn on 2 or 3 faucets and then the headhunter sees enough demand to turn on and pump and i let them all run for a little while. then it will work ok.

3. i would give headhunter a call monday if you cant get it working.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Can you valve out the 12V pump to see if that is a way for the pressure to leak down?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Solved.
The check valve in the head of the pump (inside the Intake fitting) was not closing. Plastic POS that would only seat partially. Cut the pipe before the pump, installed a brass check valve with ball seat, removed the OEM check valve and it now works fine.....

Thank you all for the input.

MG

outstanding. especially since we sent you many different direction.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH