You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

condenser fan motor replacement

I have 3 split 13,500 btu units on my coach. 2 of the fan motors on the middle and front units condensers have burnt up! They are Duo-Therm model #37415.304 The fan motor is an Emerson model K33HXCD-929
HP 1/6 and the RPM 1650. These motors are no longer available and the closest I could find was a Rotom
HP 1/12 and RPM 1550. Needless to say they do not move enough air to keep the compressor cool and it overheats and trips the breaker. Any suggestions would be helpful to repair or replace the system. I would rather stay with the split units. Also these old units have the R22 coolant thats soon to be extinct. What would be the most cost effective and easiest solution?
Thanks for any help!

Kevin L Walker
1996 Newell Coach #408

Hi Kevin,
Several of us have had to deal with this issue. I cant find that thread at this time...Some have had the motors rebuilt successfully. One Guru found a similar motor and used parts (end plates I believe)from that motor to replace worn bearings etc on the old motor. My plan is to rework the fan mount within the fan housing to accept an available motor or find a new squirrel cage fan and adapt it to the condenser box as a last resort. Hopefully someone else will find that thread and chime in.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If you still have the original fan motors, it is likely that they can be rebuilt. Typically the bearings and or brushes go out in them and those can be replaced in a rebuild of your core for about $60 (at least that was about what I paid a couple of years ago). Even a complete coil rewire is possible but the cost is ridiculous, about $500-600. However, even that is cheaper than replacing the entire AC system.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My local rebuilder says he cannot get bearings. If anybody finds a rebuilder who can successfully rebuild these motors I may send a couple of my old motors in for a rebuild.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I used Austin Armature Works, 304 Commercial Dr., Buda, TX 78610, 512-312-0088. It has been several years since they did my rebuilds.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have no idea if the shaft is the correct size without pulling my AC units out but I did find that Dayton makes a 4HZ60 motor that is PSC, 1/6 HP, 1650 RPM, 115V, 48Y, OAO. It is 5-5/8" in diameter with a 1/2" x 3" shaft. If it would work, that motor seems to be fairly readily available, including Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Direct-Drive-Blow...B0042GB8CW and Zoro.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It would seem as long as a different motor will fit and has similar hp and rpms then the only other factor is making the blower fit. I don't remember but do the dometic units have a single or double blower? Blowers should be available to fit a new motor shouldn't they?
Another thought is to search on yachting sites since the a/c units they use are similar sizes with the major difference being a water cooled heat exchanger. They may have a blower motor with similar sizes.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, the Dometics use a single blower.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

First check the least expensive, check the capacitor, the fan contact. You will need a Microfarad meter. Cheep enough $30 amazon.
The ratings are marked on the capacitor. First number is for the compressor and is the larger number then the fan number smaller
Mine is 25/7.5 Microfarads.
You can check this subject out on youtube and see that in homes, similar to coaches, Capacitors are the main problem.

I found a company where they are made in USA and have a 5year warranty compared to 1 year for the foreign ones.https://www.airstarsupply.com/products.aspx?cat=265

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I have been traveling since I made this post, so this is the 1st time for me to ck the replies. Thank you so much for your helpful responses. Unfortunately I threw the old motors away after 5 different shops told me they couldnt be rebuilt! Im going to ck out the sources you gave me. Thanks

Kevin L Walker
1996 Newell Coach #408