You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Private Sale vs Consignment

Good Morning fellow Gurus,

Barb and I have decided to change direct, i.e. alter our "life-style".  For the past 4 years we have traveled  the western U.S.  fulltime in our Newell.  We found a great rv community (SoCal) to spend our winters and have not traveled as much this past year.  Time to sell our Newell "home" and get something we can park on our lot (most likely a 5th wheel) and just use a Class C  to do shorter outings and summer trips.

I have read many of the previous posts discussing the pros and cons of private vs consignment sales. Many valid points both ways.  I have always followed the "For Sale" ads on the various web sites....just because.  Now that we have made a decision to sell, I find myself on the fence.  Naturally, I want the most for my coach but realize a private sale is more work.  I doubt a trade-in will net me more.

My questions: 
1.   How much is realistic to expect if I sell myself?  (what are normal consignment fees)  
2.   For those who have used the consignment  route - What are the things to look for / watch out for in 
      a consignment contract?

Thanks for any insight / experiences  that the gurus can offer.

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

Do not know much about the consignment part, but I would not discount the trade in part.
Most big consignment dealers have a database of possible buyers, and what they are looking for in a coach.
Several times I have traded a coach and received more than what I thought  the retail value was, in trade, because the dealer had my coach "presold" with no need to advertise, store, or prep it for sale. And perhaps also wanted to move the unit I traded for anyway. 
If you are looking for a class c, might be worth your while to take it to a big dealer and find out.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Jim. 

Thanks for your input.  We have been to several dealers recently to look at units we were interested in, but found neither was very interested in our trade - gave low ball trade-in value.  This may have been because the units we were looking at were "less expensive" than what I have to trade.  I knew this going in, but wanted to gauge what I might expect from a dealer.   Recently tried to make a deal on a new high-end 5th wheel, but got the same trade-in figure. Not sure, but I think that particular dealer just doesn't want to deal with my trade.

Regarding consignments,  I have a couple of other questions.  

1.  Besides Motorhomes of Texas and California Coach Company, are their other dealers we should consider?
    (Please keep in mind we are in southern California.... any dealers in Arizona, maybe?)

2.  I've read that my insurance may not cover our coach while it's on consignment.  Does the consignment dealer          provide insurance while it's on their lot? 

Again, any information is much appreciated.

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Newell Coach #500 

!! BREAKING NEWS - COACH #500 is For Sale !!

We have decided to try the private sale route. It will require more effort on our part, but it should net us more than placing it on consignment or as a trade-in.

I have followed the Newell "For Sale"  ads on the various websites and have an idea what our coach is worth.  Having said that, we are not looking to squeeze the last dollar out of our rig.  We are looking for a buyer who wants a very sound Newell at a fair price and is ready to "buy it now"!

The price is $ 95,000.  FIRM 

I have posted some photos here, but will provide more information and additional pictures in the Newell Gurus Classified section later today.  My cell phone number is 314-313-8715.

I expect a few Gurus might have comments or questions.  Bring it on - l'll provide as much info as I can.  

If you know someone who is a serious buyer, please let them know.  Thanks.

Jerry Bommarito

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Newell Coach #500 

Our Newell Coach #500 sold on Monday of this week. It was a "Private Sale"

I  wanted to provide an update / conclusion to this topic I originally started. This is based on my experience going the private sale route.

1.  Advertising:  I first posted our coach for sale here on NewellGurus.com.  I then used three other public sites: RV  
                       Online.com, RV Trader.com and RVT.com. 

2.  Information:  I tried to include the identical information detail in all four ads.  

3.  Photos:  Each site had different limits on the number of photos allowed.   Some sites charged extra for additional                    photos which I believe is worth the extra cost.  Note: Here on NewellGurus, I posted 20 images - all free!                
4.  Inquiries - from first post on Aug. 10th thru Sept 26:    Newell Gurus =  3
                                                                                      RV Online =  1
                                                                                      RV Trader = 11
                                                                                        RVT.com =  8                                                                                                                                              AD Inquires = 23 Total

5.  Ad Results:  One "genuine" buyer- this lead came from - wait for it .............. NEWELLGURUS.COM !!! 

6.  Summary:  While it did take some effort to photograph and write up the ad, it wasn't difficult.  All of the inquiries                      came to an e-mail address I set up for the sale.  I replied to each lead answering their questions.  I                          called and spoke with several leads via the telephone.  In the end, only one buyer was ready to                                purchase, but I only had one coach to sell.  The biggest hurdle is arranging payment and closing the                        deal ie signing over the title.  In this day and age, fraud is a real concern.  A bank check or cashiers
                     check is easily counterfeited.  The best method is wire transfer according to my banker.  I won't go                          into the details of our transaction, but in the end both Buyer and Seller where happy.

I hope this can help others make an informed decision when their time comes to "Past Their Newell  Forward"

Jerry Bommarito

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Newell Coach #500 

Jerry, we are sad to see you sell the coach but glad for you at the same time. I am happy that using our forum helped you to sell. btw, if you had wanted more than 20 pictures, if you had let me know i would have allowed more.

thanks for sharing your experience.

regards,

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH