You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem

David,

When I owned a Newell with Dometic units, I had to replace several of the Omron relays that provide power to the compressor. Easy to source, and easy to replace.

You may already know how to do this, so I post for others. How to replace a relay on a PCB.
You need:
One fine tipped soldering iron.   A soldering gun is way too big.
Fine gauge solder.
Copper wicking braid. https://www.amazon.com/Aven-17542-Desold...wick+braid
A replacement relay of exactly the same dimensions on the legs that protrude through the board.

Plug the iron in and leave it until it gots hot. Trying to start with a cold iron makes a mess.
Find the lugs for the relay on the BACK of the board.
Place the tip of the wicking braid on one of the lugs.
Put the iron over the braid.
The idea is to heat the braid, which will melt the solder, and pull it out of the joint.
As the braid fills with solder, either advance to a clean section of braid, or cut off the end.
Caution, its copper and you have heat on it. It will get hot.
Clean out all the attachments for the relay.
If you have done a good job it should easily detach from the board.
Put on the new one, and solder the lugs.

Lastly, and this is about the umpteenth time I have gotten on this soapbox. Check the wire nut connections. They work loose over time potentially causing all manner of grief including mini meltdowns, burned out relays, and burned out compressors.  I love these little jewels for replacing wire nuts on my power circuit for the compressors.  https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum...HTkv3rM%3A

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by David Crayne - 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by ccjohnson - 09-01-2016, 02:09 PM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by Richard - 09-02-2016, 04:20 AM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by David Crayne - 09-02-2016, 06:04 AM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by Richard - 09-02-2016, 07:58 AM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by David Crayne - 09-02-2016, 07:21 PM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by 77newell - 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by Guy - 09-03-2016, 10:54 PM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by David Crayne - 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: 5 Button Comfort Control Center Problem - by Richard - 09-16-2016, 04:42 AM