You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New user - looking at the 75 Newell in Inday at Campers world

Hi to all
I'm new to the MH idea
I've been looking for one for a month or two. I actually drove down to Indy to look at this unit- 4 hour drive and after looking the wife was not happy. I'd think you could call this unit a rough blank canvas. The overall condition seems to be solid. I think it has had some mice residents "which freaks out my wife". I also suspect some water damage to the interior wall's - crumbling wood behind the chairs where the wall is cracked . The cabinet's seem to have had some water issues and seem very weak to ready to fall apart. the engine appears to have been replaced by an International Diesel V8 non turbo - blue international on cast valve covers. the ties are brand new - huge - the body is a little rough shows some sign of corrosion. Looking underneath it has some rusted sheets that appear to be loose. The small steel rails going from side to side look ok. All the doors open and seem ok. Looks like some welding was done in the engine compartment. I'm not sure it's related to the engine swap, looks structure related - 4 x 4 inch steel tube close to the side body. Batteries are new - however they had to jump it to start and none of the electrical items shows active on the dash. No gauges are showing pressure - temp indicators etc.. I think the main disconnect for the inverter was turned off. I'm not sure if this was the issue. It has a gas generator. looks ok. One of the techs from camper world picked up the coach and said it drove fine on the highway, about 60mph top speed. The engine seems to run well. the air brakes showed no pressure on the gauge . and when I put the transmission in gear it didn't move. I also noticed the top of the tire was very close to the inner fender. Could be related to no air in the rear bags. Steering felt fine. The wheel is huge - not unexpected.
My wife is not to keen on the major rehab on the interior. she worried about getting the wall's recovered at repair the water damage.
It appears the side windows may be leaking. Can they be replaced?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. I won't mind buying a project like this if it's feasible to get back in good shape without spending huge money. I like the old classic coaches, Newell Bluebird etc.
Thanks in advance from a guy that's on the fence.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

It is hard to assess the potential of a coach from pictures, but I do have one thought...You say that you are new to the motor home thing. Well you might be biting off more than you realize. (Not trying to ruin your fun, just being realistic)

You listed a lot of problems ....each of which could easily run into the thousands of dollars, even if you did work yourself. What if the engine needs work? The airbags are hard to find and are likely shot on a coach of this age. Again thousands of $$$.

Newell's are great but restoring one this far gone is not a task for the timid. See other posts on the forum about restoring classic Newell's.

For what it's worth. I would save up and get a coach in better condition.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks you for you comments. I appreciate it. You've made Marcia's day.

John

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Having owned a similar 77 coach, all the issues can be dealt with. It’s a question of time, money, and inclination. I spent 1500-2000 hours and perhaps $20,000 bringing the 77 up to snuff. I ended up with a great coach, not perfect but really admirable. Is it worth it? It depends on you AND your wife.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed