You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery issue

Went up this morning to check water in my batteries as I do once a month.  I always check the inverter panel and the inverter was charging and said batteries were good and 13.8 volts.  It is an Outback inverter.  Open up the door that has 4 of the six 8-Ds in it and the top two was hot and when I took the caps off they were boiling. I did not smell any sulfur. The other four were cool and not boiling.  I don't recall ever seeing this before but do usually check the water when they are charging.  My volt meter read 12.8 on each battery.  I did not disconnect the cables to check the voltage and there is no corrosion.   Soon after, I looked at the inverter panel again and it had stopped charging and said the batteries were in good condition and was 12.6 volts. The batteries are 4 years old and in the 3 and half years I've owned the coach they have never run dry.  Should I be concerned.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Sounds like there may be some internal shorting in the 2 hot batteries. I would load test each battery individually just to make sure they are all actually OK.

Sorry, not normal. I see new batteries in your future?

Russ EE

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ, Clint Thanks,There are batteries in my past now.  I disconnected the cables and put a volt meter on the two batteries.  One was 10.9 volts and the other was 12.4. They both were so hot you could not hold your hand on them.  By luck I decided to check on the water today and  I had some help close by so I bought 6 new batteries and now have them installed.  If it's not one thing it's another.  Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Hopefully a wonder filled day!

Better it happened at your shop rather than on the road. Remember meeting up around Denver on our way to the Spearfish rally? I had to add quite a few gallons to my batteries. Eventually had 3 out of 6 bad. Of course that was a good time to install the Lithiums. Last I heard Richard is enjoying them.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, the minute this happen I thought of that.  You had been gone a month and when you returned to the RV park your batteries had boiled.  They hold a lot of water I remembered.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot