You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell vs Foretravel

I am new to the forum. I have owned several gas RVs and am looking to upgrade to a DP. I have pretty much eliminated prevost in my investigation and settled on Newell or Foretravell. I'm limited on funds, so I'll be looking at older Rvs. I'be found that I can buy an older Newel for the same price range of a later model Foretravel. I'm looking for guidance to help in my decision making. Why would want to buy Newell over a later Foretravel? There is much I don't knowabout Newell, especially the chassis. All input would be appreciated.

Welcome Grandpa. Glad to have you with us.

You have picked a couple of good brands. As you have noticed, there is a significant difference in the cost of a Foretravel and a Newell. There are several differences that stand out between the two. They can be summed up in the overall term construction. The body, the chassis,which you mentioned, the customization and the materials. With the exception of the front and rear caps, Newells have an all aluminum body and roof and a steel chassis. The Newell upper framing is aluminum. The chassis is custom built for each coach using Newells design which is referred to as bridge construction. Their chassis provides exceptional strength, lowers the center of gravity and provides huge open storage bays. The materials used throughout a Newell is very high quality. Everything is solid and heavy. The drive train is from top line manufacturers and typically have greater power than most other RV's built in the same era. In the 1990's and early 2000's Newells were 500 HP, by 2006 Newell was increasing power to 600+. Newells in the 1990's had a GVWR of around 48,000 lbs. By 2006 they had a GVWR of over 59,000 lbs. Newell has had 18-20 kw generators and been all electric since the mid 1990's. Their chassis allows the customer to design whatever floorplan, slide size, and window placement they desire. Most coach companies are limited in their layouts and slide configurations. From flat floor slides in the 1990's, to active steering tag axles in 2004, Newell has introduced features that were not available on most coaches.

Each Newell is different. Each is custom designed to meet the needs of an individual customer. That means that generalizations about a Newell, even within a model year are difficult. Newell averages building about 30 coaches per year. Although they have been in business for about 50 years, the vast majority are still on the road today. You regularly see Newells from the 1970's advertised for sale. Newell offers a customer hotline that will help with serious issues 24 hours a day/365 days a year.

My Newell is a 1992 which I have owned for 11 years. It has been a solid, dependable coach and I cannot recommend it enough. I had 3 Airstream travel trailers and a Safari motorhome prior to purchasing my Newell. This is by far the best RV I have ever owned.

I would suggest you check the History section to see when Newell made major changes to body style, drive trains, slides, entry door locations, etc. I like Foretravel and looked at several when I was making my purchase. I also looked at Blue Birds and Prevosts. I like the solidness and quality of the Newell and the aluminum construction. From the large capacity fresh water and waste holding tanks to the high grade appliances and carpeting, I found Newell met my needs.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome Grandpa, and Michael that is a good description of Newell's uniqueness. An additional point is Newell factory service, parts and technical help. I know of no other RV manufacturer that provides this quality of service. From what I have read, Foretravel customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Also, the value of this forum to a Newell owner is beyond what I can put into words.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

There is a alternate consideration: does your wife like it? All the technical prowess in the world cannot compete with a wife's disapproval. If you are single there is no one else to please, just please yourself. You are focused on two great brands. If you choose a well cared for coach that your wife is happy with then I suspect everything will work out fine. And beware that just because a coach is newer does not mean it is in better shape, you have to check each one out.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Both good choices. It would come down to the individual coach. Enjoy the hunt. Floor plan to suit the bride, the drive and storage to suit you

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a lot of looking and research to do. Does anyone have an educated opinion on maintenance issues and cost comparison between the two Rvs? I know there are always issues that surface from time to time, but my concern is for commonly known problems that are major expenses with either of the two. Any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(09-24-2016, 08:27 PM)Grandpa Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a lot of looking and research to do. Does anyone have an educated opinion on maintenance issues and cost comparison between the two Rvs? I know there are always issues that surface from time to time, but my concern is for commonly known problems that are major expenses with either of the two. Any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Just getting off a heated post on the Foretravel forum from your post there. Have had two Foretravels and now a 
Newell, have to say, like the Newell more. Nothing wrong with Foretravel, [ some on Foretravel Forum will differ]
but like the ride and comfort of Newell better. You cannot go wrong with either coach, you might have problems 
with either one, but that is the nature of motorhomes. I have seen no special problems with either brand.
As PT Barnum used to say "you pays your monies, and you takes your chances." 
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

you will find we here are fans of newells and a bit biased, but also like any quality coaches. i have a number of friends on this forum and those i have met from the foretravel forum that have beautiful foretravels. i dont think you will find any of us bashing a foretravel and they are as welcome on newellgurus as anyone.

like richard said....enjoy the hunt and please the wife on the rig.

and no matter what you choose, please stay on our forum and share your experiences.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Is there a significant difference in the ride quality between the two RVs? Does Newell use a lifting tag axle on their older coaches?

Newell has never used a lifting tag axle. At least since 1990, Newell has used a tag pressure release valve switch on the dash to allow the driver to manually dump the pressure on the tag axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com